5. Meeting New People

Clementine wanted to turn away, yet couldn't, as if something was compelling her to stare at Omid's body. She just kept watching him, hoping against everything she knew he'd get up again, and not as a walker. Clementine then noticed the entire front of her dress had been covered in blood. She started hastily trying to wipe it off but only succeeded in smearing it across her clothes and onto her hands.

A shout in the distance distracted Clem from the horrid sight in front of her. Looking back at the cabin, she could see three figures now, and they were all heading right in her direction. Clementine hastily retreated back into the forest. She rushed towards one of the bigger trees and ducked behind it, hoping that no one saw her. She struggled to remain quiet, finding it hard not to take deep breaths while her heart was pounding against the side of her chest. Gradually she managed to calm herself just enough to hear something other than her own breathing.

It was eerily quiet, but Clem didn't dare leave her hiding spot. Instead she turned her head, scanning as much of her surroundings as she could without moving. She didn't see anyone around, she didn't hear anything coming, but she knew there had to be people out there. Very slowly she slid her backpack off, wincing as she took off the left strap. In her shock she had briefly forgotten the wound on her arm. Clementine carefully removed her gun, then put her backpack on.

All though it pained her to do so, she grasped the gun with both hands, then she waited. Clem kept expecting to hear someone any moment, yet all she heard was silence. Were they trying to sneak up on her? Were they even coming? Who were these people? Clementine tried to keep calm and remain hidden, but with every passing second she was becoming more unnerved by the silence than by what just happened.

Eventually Clem couldn't take it anymore, she had to know if there was anyone out there. Ever so carefully she leaned out from her hiding spot, figuring she could just briefly peek and then go right back to hiding. She moved her head out from behind the tree, and found herself facing a rifle barrel. Clem immediately froze in place, too terrified to make a move. She only just barely mustered the courage to shift her glance upwards at the person holding the gun.

She found herself looking at fairly young man with light blue eyes, shaggy facial hair and a dark red baseball cap. Much to Clementine's confusion, he looked frightened. An odd kind of silence followed as Clem waited for him to say something. She noticed he had dark hair, but not a flannel shirt, which means he wasn't the same person Omid was looking at. The next thing she noticed was the rifle he was holding wasn't the same one used by Omid, which means this was probably the man who shot him. After a tense minute, the young man slowly lowered his gun, eventually aiming it straight at the ground

"Hey..." he said in an uncertain voice. "Why don't you, just come out, and—" Clementine stepped out from behind the tree and aimed her gun right at the man. She moved her finger to the trigger while she watched the man recoil in fear at the sight of her.

"Wait, wait, just... just let me explain." Clementine glimpsed Omid's body just beyond where the man was standing. Seeing that before horrified her, but seeing it now made her angry. What possible explanation could there be for what happened? Who was he to tell her to wait after what he did? Why should she even listen to anything he says?

"Drop it!" Clem looked to her left to see a second man aiming a revolver at her. "Right now!" This man did have a flannel shirt on. He was also older than the first man, had more facial hair, darker skin, and clearly wasn't frightened but furious. Clem looked at his eyes and had no doubt he would shoot her if she didn't do what he said. Clem lowered her gun, and the man in flannel quickly took it from her.

"What did I tell you Nick?" spoke the man in flannel to the younger man, clearly frustrated. "Stay on your guard."

"What the fuck was I supposed to do?" retorted the younger man. "I didn't think she'd have a gun."