14. Play Date

"Um, hi." Clementine approached the bed slowly, unsure what was bothering Sarah. "Are, are you okay?" Sarah didn't respond immediately, instead only noticing Clementine a few seconds after she introduced herself.

"Oh, hi," greeted Sarah in a nervous voice.

"Are you okay?" repeated Clem as she sat down next to Sarah.

"I... I just get... kinda nervous, when my dad isn't around," explained Sarah slowly. "That's all."

"He's coming back," reminded Clementine.

"I know," answered Sarah, her voice easing back into a more relaxed tone. "I just got kinda worried when he left, and when you didn't come right up, I guess I got scared." Sarah let go of her legs and just let them hang off the edge of the bed. "Now that you're here, I feel okay."

"Well, that's good," Clem assumed.

"I'm Sarah," she introduced.

"I know."

"Oh, right, duh, my dad said it right in front of you," remembered Sarah. "And your name is Clementine?"

"Yeah."

"That's a really pretty name."

"Thanks, I guess."

"It's great that you're here." Sarah smiled.

"It is?" shrugged Clementine.

"Yeah, I mean, do you know how long it's been since I saw another girl my age?"

"We're not the same age," noted Clem. "You're older than me."

"Well, yeah, but I just mean it's nice to meet another girl who's not a grown-up. It's hard being the only girl, you know?"

"Yeah, it is," agreed Clem.

"How old are you? I'm going to be fourteen in May."

"I guess I'm still nine."

"You guess?"

"We lost track of the days after we came out to the cabin. But it's still winter, so—"

"When's your birthday?"

"August twenty-ninth."

"You're almost nine and a half."

"How do you know?"

"Because it's almost March," informed Sarah. "There was this guy who always announced the date at where I lived before."

"Where did you live before?" asked Clem.

"It was just some warehouse a bunch of people were staying at," answered Sarah. "Not much ever happened. Most of the time it was kinda boring to be honest."

"Then why did you leave?"

"My dad told me it wasn't safe anymore, so, we left one day with Pete and Nick. It's really nice of you and your mom to let us stay here." Clem just sighed quietly in response. "And it's really sweet of you to let me stay in your room while we're here too."

"Yeah, well, we're just really nice people I guess," reasoned Clementine, annoyed at having to play along with such blatant lies.

"And since our stuff keeps getting mixed up, I've been setting aside everything that looks like yours." Sarah stepped off the bed and picked up something sitting next to the dresser. "I figured this had to be yours." Sarah offered Clementine a familiar looking backpack decorated with pink and yellow flowers.

"It is." Clementine was surprised to see it again. "Um, thanks."

"I put your books in there."

"You can keep them if you want," suggested Clem. "I've already read them."