37. The Rest of Your Life

"I'm sorry Clementine," said Christa as Clem settled next to her. "I'm sorry I haven't been there for you lately."

"It's not your fault," said Clem. "They won't let us stay together during the day."

"No, I mean before this. Ever since Omid died I just haven't been good to you. No matter how bad things get, it's no excuse for treating you like that."

"It's okay," assured Clem.

"No it's not," insisted Christa. "I just want you to know, I'm here for you now though. For as much as I can be in this place."

"Why?" asked a weary Clem.

"What?" asked Christa, confused by Clem's question.

"Why?" repeated Clem. "Why are you taking care of me?"

"What? I told you. Lee wanted me and Omid to take care of you. I know he's gone but—"

"If Lee hadn't asked you, would you still take care of me?"

"Of course I would," assured a guilt-ridden Christa. "Clem, I'm so sorry about how I've acted. I—"

"I'm not mad at you Christa."

"Then, what?"

"I'm just wondering. Why do you want to help me? What makes me so special?"

"Clementine," spoke a heartbroken Christa. "How could you even think you're not worth caring for?"

"Because I'm not," answered Clem in a grim tone. "Not any more than anyone else. Probably less actually. I don't know a whole lot, and I can't do a lot either. Wouldn't it be better if Lee was here, instead of me?"

"No, Clem, you're such a good person. You're a brave, smart, wonderful girl, and I wouldn't trade you for anything."

"Why not? Lee was brave. Braver than me. He was smarter too. And even if he did some bad things, he was a good person too. If he was here right now, he could do a lot more than me. Maybe you would have never been caught if he was here instead of me."

"Clementine, the reason you're here is because that's what Lee wanted. That's why he came after you."

"He shouldn't have."

"Clementine," scolded Christa. "Why would you even say that?"

"Because he shouldn't have," repeated an aggravated Clem. "What makes my life more important than his? Because I'm a kid? Kids aren't important. Not anymore."

"You really think that?" asked Christa in disbelief.

"Yeah, I do," admitted Clem.

"Then why do you keep helping Sarah?"

"What?"

"She's a kid. And from the sounds of things you've helped her a lot."

"Well... that's... that's different."

"How?"

"She's... she's not a kid. She's thirteen. That makes her a teenager."

"I see. So if Sarah was your age, you wouldn't help her."

"No, I'd still help Sarah if she was nine."

"Why? She'd be a kid and wouldn't be important."

"I don't care if she's important. I like her. She's nice to me. She listens to me, and helps me, and makes me feel better—" Clem felt Christa's hand slide up her arm and to her face, tenderly caressing Clem's cheek.

"Sounds like someone I know," smiled Christa.

"So, I'm important to you," concluded Clem. "It doesn't mean kids are important."