Matt

2:47 am

Now I waited in the couch, mindlessly staring at empty space. Without my phone to distract myself, this was the only thing I could do.

I wasn't as bitter to Sasha as I was earlier. People abandoning me was something I always expected at one point.

Even the people you trust the most would get tired of you. Don't assume that no one had bad-mouthed you, not even once. My words of advice to me had stuck throughout my life.

And today was the last day I would be hearing of it.

I snuck a glance at my dad, who's looking at his phone but not typing anything. He was biting his lip and at one point he would breathe through his teeth.

Obviously he was nervous. His son was dying today.

Then, we heard a car pull over in front of our house. The rumbling sound stopped and I heard the door open.

There stood my mom, who was dressed in a crumpled white coat. She looked disgruntled. Even her hair was tied in a rush. I sighed. She always appeared in the house like this.

She gave me a look. "Is it true?"

"Yeah," my dad replied for me, showing her the letter. He stood in front of her as she read it. "He's going to. . ."

She moved past him and hugged me. "I'm so sorry."

My mind went blank. What should I do?

"It's. . .okay?" I mumbled in reply.

She let go and looked at me again. Her eyes were glistening. She was about to cry, huh.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. She was never like this to me. In any other day, she wouldn't care about me and my existence. She was only crying because it was the natural human reaction to do so when someone was about to pass away. But like me, if you wouldn't cry about it, then your heart should at least ache because of it.

"What are you going to do on your End Day?" my dad asked while my mother wept in front of me.

I thought about my conversation with Russell. He seemed like a suspicious guy, but if he could help me complete my life, then what did I have to lose? My life? I was gonna lose it anyway.

"I have a Last Friend," I said to him.

His face broke. "But won't you spend it with us instead?"

With you, yes. But with my mom? No fucking way, I wanted to say. But I swallowed them instead.

For a while I was silent. I didn't know what to say as an answer. Though, in the end, I just sighed. Maybe it was time for them to know the truth for once. "I want to live my life the right way for one day."

I looked at my mom. "If that's okay, of course," I added.

She sniffled. "W-well if that's the case, then you should remember to stay safe, okay?"

"Mhm."

"Say it properly," my dad interjected.

I made an exasperated sigh. "Yes, Mama."

She smiled weakly. "We will let you do as you wish. But no playing games the entire day."

"I won't."

"Good." She stood up and wiped her tears. "I'm happy that your idea of spending your last day is by actually going out."

Yeah my parents weren't going to let that go, huh. Alright.