Chapter 6

(Follow You Down By Gin Blossoms)

Emerald's Pov

*Time Skip*

"Look at the seniors go!" Aunt Mel cheered with a smile as we walked into the house.

"Congrats grad." Josie hugged all of us and we all laughed.

"Thanks, I guess." Luke ruffled her hair and she rolled her eyes.

We all got ready to go to dinner then into Aunt Mel's mini van. She started dating the hockey coach, and got the van once she realized that she was going to be driving a bunch of sweaty guys at times. I sat all the way in the back with Luke. I kicked up my legs and laid them across the seats.

"How does it feel to be out of highschool?" Ciara asked, turning around to face us all.

"Less people i have to talk to." I said and the car broke out into laughter.

When we got there, we all got out of the car before going inside. We followed the waitress, and as we were walking I felt a hand go on my lower back when I walked.

I could feel the chills run down my arm. I could feel a shiver go down my spine. We sat down at the table, he sat down across from me. Some habits you don't grow out of.We all ordered and were making small talk.

"So, how's applying for college going?" Ciara broke the ice and June smiled.

"I applied for Boston University, and got in. They want me to play on their hockey team too, so I took the offer!" June rambled and I could sense the shocked expression on my face.

"I got in too." Luke mumbled and his mom smiled.
"Did you take the offer?" She asked and he nodded.

"What are you guys majoring in?" Joise asked and I felt like I wasn't here.

"Business." June said with a smile.

"Art." Luke said, keeping his head somewhat down.

"That's cool. What about you, Emmy?" Josie turned to face me and I shrugged.

"I got in to, Temple." I said and everyone looked at me with a confused expression.

"What part of Boston is that in?" Aunt Mel asked, pulling her phone out.

"Uh... It's not in Boston." I trailed off and she typed on her phone, looking it up.

"It's in Philadelphia?" Ciara gaped looking at her phone.

"Yeah.." I smiled before looking in front of me and seeing Luke just staring.

"Did you accept?" Josie asked with a hopeful smile on her face.

"I did." I nodded my head and she squealed.

"When are you leaving?" June asked with a sad smile on his face.

"Probably not for another month. I want to get there early and get into my apartment. Lauren and I are getting an apartment, she's coming with me so I can still train and compete."

"That's it then?" Luke said as we stood outside of my house.

He leaned against the wall and I leaned against the fence around the porch.

"What do you mean?" I asked, he wanted to talk to me alone when we got home.

"You're leaving? Just like that?" He sounded like he was trying to convince himself that it was fake.
"It was my choice, Sunshine. I wanted to leave this town. It holds so many bad memories." I spoke calmly, because I knew that I didn't want our last couple of weeks together to be me ignoring him.

"What about the good memories, Em?! Are you just throwing them away along with the bad ones?" He stood up straight and I crossed my arms.

"No! What makes you think I would throw away the good memories?" I questioned and he groaned.

"Because you're leaving, Em. You're leaving June, you're leaving Josie, you're leaving my mom, you're leaving Aunt Mel, and you're leaving me." His voice cracked and I felt extremely bad but I knew that this was something I needed to do.

"I need this, Luke." I spoke, keeping myself calm, but knowing I was only hanging on by a thread before exploding.

"I know you do, Em. But god, it's going to hurt." He pulled me over to him and wrapped his arms around me.

"It will be over before you know it." I tried to reason and I could feel him shake his head.

"No it won't. That's more than four years, Em. Sure holidays you might come home, but i can't take that. I don't care though, as long as you're happy. If you really want this, I'll tough through it, just for you. You need this, and I need to let myself let you. I need to not hold you back. Because it feels so toxic, Em." He let go of me and looked at me while he spoke.

"And I don't want to be toxic."

I nodded my head because I didn't really know what to say. His hand reached out to brush a piece of my hair back, but he stopped himself. I put one hand on the doorknob, and I opened the door.

"Just... Don't forget about me, Em." He smiled sadly and I returned the same smile.

"I would never, Sunshine."

865 Words