Chapter 15

I don't own the image ^

Hitoshi POV

"What's with the gate of impending doom?" I asked, pointing at his front door.

"It's to keep the unworthy out." Illumi replied.

I blinked, they're assassins, it's not there for protection, they can protect themselves. Unworthy he said. Unworthy... I walked closer to the gate, it appeared to be quite heavy, with no keyhole. Meaning either this was just a wall and I'm incredibly dumb or the door is unlocked. Unworthy... a test of strength?

"A test of strength?" I asked aloud.

"Yes. I'm surprised, it didn't take you very long to figure it out."

Yeah well someone with a mental quirk needs to have some brain. Also, did he just call me stupid?

"How heavy are they?" I asked.

"I'm not going to tell you until you pass."

Well at least he doesn't think I'm weak. I don't know how heavy these gates are, though I'd assume a few tons at least; if the Zoldycks are anything like Illumi then they're all monsters.

I put my hands on the door and pushed, I let nen surround me to boost my strength, and of course I muttered "open sesame." I'm no fool.

Six of the seven gates opened and I slipped inside. Illumi slipped in right behind me.

"I'm impressed." Illumi said.

"Mm, so you gonna tell me how heavy they are now?

"The sixth gate is 128 tons."

Wut. Does nen really make me that much stronger? Or have I gotten stronger? Meh, probably both, but still who'd've thought all it took to gain an impossible amount of strength was dying and being transported to a world where human anatomy works differently. Wait, I shouldn't even be able to do that. The most people back in my world can lift without quirks is 3 tons. Has my body changed? Did my quirk become a nen ability?

Maybe I really should test the limits of my quirk like Hisoka suggested. In fact I oughta figure out what the hell happened to me. Maybe I should sit down with Illumi and Hisoka and come up with a bunch of theories. I mean people sacrificed to 'dark gods' or whatever die, right?

"Hitoshi?" Illumi poked my shoulder.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought."

"Let's go."

Illumi was walking calmly, but his eyes kept darting around, as if looking for something.

I studied the forest, listening to the wind.

"Grrrrr."

"What was that?" I whispered, nudging Illumi.

Illumi had abruptly stopped walking and narrowed his eyes at something in the distance. "See that?" he asked.

I looked in the direction Illumi was staring at. A huge dog (was it even a dog?) was growling at a black panther-like creature. They were engaged in a staring contest.

"That must be the cat my Mother warned us about." Illumi stated.

"Yeah alright, but what's with the dog-thing?"

"That's Mike, our family's dog."

I blinked, "uh-huh." If I had to guess, I'd say he resembles a nomu made from an animal corpse rather than a human's. "I'm sorry to say but your quote unquote dog seems to be losing."