JAY

Jay sprinted out of the Observation Room. He ran down the hall and away from his friends. He tried not to allow his thoughts to get the best of him.

Jay didn't want to think about how Kai, Cole, and Zane were relying on him to save them. Or how Jay didn't know where Lloyd or Nya was. Or that Jay didn't have Elemental Powers. Or that Jay had no plan.

Jay burst out of the compound. He ran past the current dragon trial. He had to move fast. Even though he didn't know where he was going.

He made eye contact with Soren. Jay ran into the village. He glanced behind him, expecting to see at least one person pursuing him. No one was there.

"Really? Does no one take me seriously?" Jay mumbled to himself.

At least Jay had time to think about his next move. He stopped running because no one was chasing him. Jay meandered towards the edge of the village. Why couldn't his brain think of anything of use? He didn't know where Nya and Lloyd were. He had no mode of transportation outside of walking. Wow, he didn't expect to let Kai, Cole, and Zane down so quickly.

"Jay?"

Jay turned to see Doctor Kirk approaching him.

"Oh, hi," Jay said, "Are you going to try and capture me?"

"No, I don't think I'd be able to," Doctor Kirk said, "I'm more curious as to why you are wandering around?"

"Just trying to escape," Jay said.

"How's it going?" Doctor Kirk said.

"Not very well," Jay said.

"I thought that Elemental Masters could summon dragons," Doctor Kirk said. He came alongside Jay.

"Yeah, my dragon isn't working right now," Jay said. His stomach twisted. Jay gave up his Elemental Power... for nothing.

Doctor Kirk put his hand on Jay's shoulder. The gesture was confusing. It was comforting but at the same time, Doctor Kirk was the enemy.

"Well, if I were you, I'd escape through the tunnel. It lets out a half a mile east of here."

Jay remembered how he entered Okuura via the tunnels. It didn't occur to him that the truck that brought him to the tunnel would still be there.

"I'm sure someone of your skillset can hotwire one of our trucks or planes," Doctor Kirk said.

"Not without tools," Jay said. Doctor Kirk beckoned Jay to follow him. Jay was hesitant. He kept his distance as Doctor Kirk led him to a house. He went inside. Jay debated entering. It could be an ambush.

Doctor Kirk came out a few moments later. He dangled a key ring from his hands and tossed them to Jay.

Jay stared at the two keys. One was for a vehicle. The other... Jay wasn't sure.

"Are you helping me?" Jay said, tearing his eyes away from his gift.

"I believe so," Doctor Kirk said, "Did you think we were talking for banter's sake?"

"Why?"

"Because inpatient work is erroneous work. Moses and I didn't wake up with the same intentions. We need to reevaluate our mission. And what we are willing to do to achieve our goal," Doctor Kirk said, "Besides, I've read somewhere that a few ninja know the location of the realm crystal. Perhaps befriending them is a better means to an end than kidnapping children."

"The best way to defeat an enemy is to make him your friend," Jay said. Doctor Kirk took in Jay's words. He nodded thoughtfully.

"You have a key to one of our trucks. The other is for our prison," he said, "You can bring your new friend with you."