Young love

*Wade's P.O.V*

"Whats up Wade?" Emma asked leaning on the bar.

I sighed trying to figure out how to word this.

"My dad and your husband were good friends, and you were good friends with my mom." I said trying to start this conversation somewhere.

Emma nodded her head and kept looking at me.

"My parents, they used to hate each other how did they fall in love? And when did they know?" I asked hoping my question was simple enough to fill the blanks I was leaving.

Emma smiled and looked from me to Kaya at the table.

"They never truly hated each other, it was more they irritated one another till they found out they liked each other more than the irritation. It was like a switch was flipped from off to on." Emma explained.

I looked away from Emma to Kaya, I could feel Emma smiling next to me.

"Thanks Emma, normally I would ask my dad but he's not here and I don't really have another adult who could tell me about my parents." I said softly.

I rarely spoke about my parents to anyone and Emma knew this, she took it delicately, placing a hand delicately on mine.

"Be honest Wade." She said not finishing the sentence.

I shook my head yes, awnsering her unasked question. Some part of me already knew that Emma knew what I was asking.

I wasn't exactly making it subtle

"The one thing I loved about your parents was they rarely fought, but when they did they made sure to get through it for the next day."

I nodded my head.

"Thanks Emma." I said smiling, it was a soft smile but a real one.

Emma smiled back.

"No problem kiddo."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Please tell me your favorite color is still red." Kaya asked with a smile.

She was laying down on her board with a smile on her face.

"Still red, blue?" I asked, she responded my nodding her head.

2 hours of surfing did happen, followed by 1 hour of waiting for the next set then another 1 hour of debating whether or not we should go in, than another hour of just talking.

All in all it had been 4 hours.

"Favorite drink?" I asked starting the next round of questions

"Mai tai, no debate." Kaya replied

"Virgin?" I questioned alittle shocked.

Kaya just shook her head no and I frayed shocked.

"Kaya you rebel."

Kaya laughed a genuine laugh, she fiddled with the hem of her bikini before talking.

"Just because I'm a lifeguard doesn't mean I always follow the rules, I just enforce them." She stated softly.

My smile half faded and I looked over at her, "really?" I questioned

I'd know Kaya could break an occasional good girl rule, flirt, maybe kiss a guy with absolutely no feelings for him, drink but sometimes it was weird to think about the fact that she did.

Her entire teenage life I'd know her to be a rule enforcer, not a breaker.

Kaya shrugged her shoulders.

"As long as your not putting your life at risk, I don't know, it's not that big of a deal, I guess." She explained "and don't get me wrong at work its different but I can't stay mad after work."

She looked over at me, it had gotten dark out, really dark making it hard to see her face.

I took in the words she'd said, calculating why the surfing made her so much more mad than all the other stuff.

I was after all putting my life at risk.

"It's dark, we should probably head in" I said changing the topic.

Kaya nodded her head. We'd been out here so long we'd drifted close to shore, paddling in didn't take that long.

She kept looking at the water longingly as we walked onto shore, she then met me with the same gaze and I froze.

"You were right, the water is peaceful." She said her voice smooth

I set my board down on the sand and took off my leash.

"We don't have to head in yet." I replied.

"Its dark out Wade." She exclaimed gesturing up to the sky.

She was right, our 4 hours out on the water had allowed the day to become a sunset and the sunset to become the night.

"Doesn't matter, we can leave our boards on shore and swim for a bit." I explained.

I watched her debate for a moment. She looked at the boards almost mentally calculating all the things that could go wrong with night swimming or leaving our board on the sand.

"Come on Kaya, no one will take our boards." I convinced.

She finally set her board down and ripped off her soaking wet rash guard revealing the light pink suit once more.

"I can't seem to say no to you tonight can I say?" Kaya remarked with a smirk before getting back in the water.

I watched as she walked into the water, wading there for a second before turning around to look at me. Almost asking without words 'are you coming?'

"God Kaya." I whispered under my breath, before following her into he water.

Words: 868