Chapter 2

Aunt Asuna held a bowl out to me, as I finished stirring the soup. The entire village surrounded the fire to enjoy the food, indulging in the sunlight of these late night hours. The seasons are going to change soon, in a few months it'll be dark at night again. The kids bickered and the women talked amongst themselves. I lastly served myself a bowl, silently excusing myself from the group chatter after grabbing a piece of seal blubber jerky. Walking towards the entrance of the village, I sat to eat. Waiting for my siblings to return.

It's been several hours since they left. I knew it was a bad idea for Sokka and Katara to fish alone together. They fight too much. I could only imagine Katara pushing Sokka off the boat on 'accident'. Leaning against the sorry excuse for a watchtower my brother spent so much time building.

As time went by I let go a long deep sigh. Gran-Gran made her ways to the edge of the village wall where I rested on top.

"Kya, you need to rest." She softly said as she looked up to me.

"I won't, not until they've made it back."

"Stop being stubborn child,"

"Gran, it's ok just to go to sleep. I'll wait a bit longer" I gave her a small and I mean practically invisible smile.

She sighed in defeat and walked back to her hut. If someone could read the slight differences in the way I look it was my family.

>>>

I saw a few figures walking back from the distance, I was relieved and immediately jumped down.

"Well, it took you long enough. Do you have any idea how long it's been since you've left?" I said mildly harsh. I won't deny I was very worried.

"Oh dear sister, when will you learn, a warrior can be out as long as he wishes." Sokka said as he walked past me.

I flipped him off. My younger sister interrupted my annoyance by hugging me and turning me around.

"Kya, look! This is Aang. We found him while we were fishing."

"Found?" I questioned as Katara pushed me to the boy.

He walked over to me with a large goofy smile on his face. He is significantly shorter than me, but then again I'm slightly taller than my own twin brother. The kid had blue arrows, and was in bright warm colored clothes. He bowed. I returned the greeting.

"Nice to meet you, Kya." I spoke mildly cheery from his happy go lucky aura. It felt contagious in a way.

"I hope we get along well" He shot another bright smile. I was tempted to cover my eyes from his pureness. 

"Ok that's enough for introductions. Let's hit the sack. I'm tired." Sokka groaned and wrapped his arm around me and he practically pulled me to our hut. Katara showed Aang to another hut as we walked back.

"Your so bossy" I half joked to Sokka

"Oh come on I know you're tired too." My brother claimed. Not being entirely in the wrong, I crack a small chuckle.

>>

The next morning, Sokka had me do his "morning emergency drills" with him as we do every morning. I didn't think they were very helpful to our lives but Sokka was always one to entertain me one way or another so I didn't mind much. Katara went along to wake up our new visitor. Dragging the boy out of the tent.

"Aang, this is the entire village. Entire village, Aang." Katara, loudly announced for the few to hear.

The mothers held their kids closer to them. As if Aang was going to attack us.

He's literally just a kid, I thought to myself with judging eyes. My brother held a stoic look as well.

"Uh,, Why are they all looking at me like that? Did Appa sneeze on me?" He asked as he looked at his clothes.

"You honestly shouldn't be surprised," I held a curious stare at Aang as my Gran-Gran walked closer to Aang. He held a confused face. I was almost at a loss for words. He was completely out of it. Does he really not understand why we were all just a little bit weirded out.

"She's right, after all no one has seen an air bender in 100 years. We thought they were all extinct until my granddaughter and grandson found you"

"Extinct?" He said genuinely lost in the conversation. 'He's joking right?' The more he spoke the more curious I became. Sure it was off putting but I couldn't help but want to know more.

"Aang, this is my grandmother" The obvious introduction put together by my sister.

"Call me Gran-Gran" She plainly said

Sokka stepped up so I followed behind him. Yanking Aang's staff and observing it, "What is this? Some sort of weapon?"

"You can't even stab anything with this." He continued.

I grabbed the staff and poked Sokka," That doesn't belong to you." I could feel myself giving a small smirk.

I held it back out to Aang, whooshed it back into his hands. As if a breeze just lifted it from my hands to his.

"It's for air bending" He opened the staff up to my surprise, but scared Sokka. Even the children did seem interested. "Magic trick! Do it again"

"Not magic, air bending. It lets me control the air currents around my glider and fly."

Sokka crossed his arms unimpressed, "You know last time I checked, Humans can't fly!"

I glared at Sokka causing him to whine, "Why am I your target? What did I do?"

Aang spoke, "Check again."

Aang steadied himself with the glider and took off, he wasn't joking he could actually fly with that thing. The crowd murmured in amusement.

Ohhh this must be really itching at you huh

To make matters more amusing Aang crashed right into Sokka's Watchtower. I could practically see Sokka twitching trying to contain himself.

"My Watchtower!"

"Pfft" I actually chucked for the first time in a long while. It was something completely new into the mundane. It felt weird but I didn't want to hate it.

"That was amazing!" Katara excitedly said as she ran over to Aang.

Sokka raced to his watchtower and snow fell on him. A larger laugh escaped my lips to some of the villagers' surprise. I covered my mouth while quickly turning around as the women of the tribe murmured. Great not I got all the attention. I placed the hood of my parka up, covering my head. My hair, uncomfortably seeping out the sides. I walked towards my brother.

"Great, you're an air bender. Kya and Katara are water benders. Together, you can just waste time all day long." Sokka exclaimed as he walked past me all cranky.

"Come on Sokka, don't be like that. It's not as bad as it looks." I stifled another laugh as he glared at me. He looked into my eyes. As I said, if anyone can read my face it's my family. Sokka saw a slight glisten in my eyes that I even felt.

"Then why are you hiding in your parka?" He snickered while yanking my hood down.

"Kya wait, we have chores!" Katara said. Ah chores. I give Sokka a quick 'see ya later' look as I walk towards Gran-Gran and Katara.

"But he's special! I can tell!" Katara said "I sense he's filled with much wisdom." We looked back to Aang whose tongue was stuck on his glider, causing the children to laugh.

"Yea Katara, he seems like the wisest 12 year old." I said, Katara, unamused, continued to walk ahead of me. I shook my head and followed after her.