Chapter 17

Well enough we landed at a waterfall. Plenty of water for practice, "Nice puddle,"

Sokka was clearly annoyed, I scrunched my nose and shook my head trying to mock him. He sighed as he walked away. I snickered.

Appa splashed in the water soaking Momo. Aang stripped down to his trunks ready to have fun but Katara brought him back to reality. We were there to practice water bending and not have fun. Though deep down I wished for some fun too. We've been running from danger from the very start after all. Aang with a saddened expression got dressed again.

"So what am I supposed to do?" Sokka asked.

"You can clean the gunk out of Appa's toes," Aang happily said while handing a branch with leaves as if it was a brush to Sokka.

"So while you three are playing in the water? I'm supposed to be hard at work picking mud out of a giant bison's feet? Sokka asked.

"Mud and bugs!" Aang cheered.

"Hey Appa doesn't complain about all the work he does for us," I gave a small smile and crossed my arms. Sokka defeatingly went to Appa with the branch in hand. I laughed slightly in response.

I clicked my tongue earning Aang and Katara's attention, "Okay. Lets start with the very basics," I began to push and pull the tides. Just as I remembered when I first learned them. It had been a while since I had practiced something simple. I felt my arm throb a bit. I ignored it, my burn had healed, these were just after feelings. I was happy that there wasn't going to be a scar added onto the one that preexists there.

"The point to keep your focus on your wrists. Keep them loose but controlled," 

I smiled to myself. It was funny how long ago I tried to do this move but couldn't. I had never stopped to appreciate how much I've learned. I never allowed myself to think about everything I've done in the efforts to help my family. Water bending meant so much to me. It was the first thing to make me happy after my mother died. But I never got to appreciate just how happy. 'Reminds me of-'

"Oh I already know this one!." Katara said snapping me out of my trance. She repeated my movements creating the body of water.

"Perfect," I said with a small cheer.

"Come on, Aang," Katara said.

"Like this?" Aang asked as he followed along

I hummed, Aang was perfect. I had never seen anyone take it up so quickly. The last time Aang water bended he was in the Avatar State. Well it's technically not his first time bending water.

"Katara!" Aang proudly called out," I'm doing it already,"

I clapped softly at Aang and he smiled my way. It felt like the sun was shining at my face so I looked away quickly.

"Wow," Katara gave a very small sigh, "I can't believe you got that so quickly," She added. "It took me two months to learn that move."

"Well you had to learn alone. I've got two great teachers!" Aang said.

Aang is almost as cute as the snow leopard caribou I had while growing up. He's sweet and always trying to say the right things. Especially with Katara.

"It's okay everyone has a different pace. This isn't Aang's first life anyways," I said trying to also not agitate Katara.

"Did it take you as long as I did too?" She asked interrogatively

"As long as we all know the move it doesn't matter. Let's move on shall we," I looked away to Aang signaling for help to move on. I technically didn't learn alone even though there weren't any other benders. But I couldn't tell Katara it took me less time.