Chapter 14

I shivered at a strong breeze that blew by. I patted next to me to feel that Katara was no longer there. I shot up.

"There's an intruder!" I flinched at the sudden announcement.

Haru rushed to where I was, "Its Katara and your brother." My eyes widened as I rushed past him.

Soldiers surrounded my siblings. They were ready to attack. I took a deep breath. I didn't want to be afraid. I was ready to defend them if I had to. I exhaled letting my fear flow out of me. The soldiers raised their spears, I ran, jumping above one of the soldiers. I landed next to my siblings. I made this my fight the second I decided I wanted to save everyone here. I'd rather die then have my brother and sister fight alone. The wind stopped, the air grew hot. Sweat dripped down my back. The soldier in front of me tightened the grip on his spear. I shouldn't be afraid, this is what I was meant to do. I tried to repeat that to myself.

"Katara, Kya stop! You can't win this fight!" Tyro yelled, shocked at seeing me fly in from the corner of his eye.

I looked at Sokka, he nodded at me. I returned it. Trust. I will not do anything but trust my family. No matter what, we will survive.

"Listen to them well, child. You're one mistake away from dying where you stand," Said the warden walking closer to Katara

The soldiers started to close the circle we were in. The three of us pressed out backs together. Our bodies were all sweaty, Sokka was confident in his plan. I couldn't help but know that this plan was full proof if all the pieces fall into place. Your opponent thinks you are weak but you are brewing something strong. I straightened my face. Every ounce of fear I had left me, my anxiety stopped for once. The world moved in the moment.

The ground had begun to shake, I looked to the vent the vibrations emitted from. Coal, flying everywhere. So Katara builded off my plan. Thank goodness. I smirked. The soldiers looked at the stream of coal spewing from the vent. Along with Aang covered in dust, coughing it off.

"Here's your chance earth benders, take it! Your fate is in your own hands!" She yelled enthusiastically raising the piece of coal in the air.

Haru took a step forward but Tyro stopped him. No one took action, these practically hopeless people who won't even take the opportunity that they have been given thanks to my sister. I scoffed as I sprinted up to my sister. There is no better time to rebel than the present.

"This isn't survival! It's cowardice!" I yelled sternly at the crowd. I looked at Haru then to Tyro, they lowered their eyes. Avoiding eye contact, " You are finally given the chance to stand up. To defend your rights as people, as earth benders. To be free. To be with your loved ones once more. What are you so afraid of? If you don't defend your own right, who will? Your families are waiting for you to return home. Will you really just stand around and do nothing at all! You should all have a little more self respect,"

Some of the earth benders backed away from the coal shamefully. I writhed in disappointment.

Behind us, the warden started to laugh loudly, "Foolish girls! You thought that your inspirational words and coal would change these people? Look at these blank, hopeless faces!"

"The people of the Earth Kingdom are more willed than you believe they are," I claimed, "These are brave men. Your oppression will not last for much longer if we have anything to say about it,"

I looked at my sister with determination in my eyes. The Fire Nation believe they have the right to taint the glory that the Earth Kingdom possesses. As if they conquered the great cities. It's disgraceful.

"Their spirits broke a long time ago! Oh, but you still believe in them. How sweet,"

"Of course we do!" Katara replied, looking at me.