Chapter 20

In the morning Sokka and I joined Jet. We all followed him up a tree. Jet was on the branch below Sokka and I. I kept quiet the whole time. Just observing everything. In the tree Jet signaled the others with a bird call. I wished I could've placed my back against the tree but Sokka was there. If it was gonna be like this the whole day then I was ready to leave. Then, Sokka stabbed his knife into the tree as he listened.

"What are you doing?" Jet asked.

"It amplifies vibration," Sokka answered.

"Good trick," Jet smirked.

"Nothing yet,, Wait! yes! Someone's approaching,"

"How many?"

"I think theres just one,"

Jet made a different bird call to alert the others.

"Good work. Now ready your weapons,"

Sokka and I prepared ourselves just to encounter, an old man.

"Wait! False alarm! He's just an old man," Sokka said.

Jet still jumped down with an uneasy smile on his face. Sokka and I exchanged a worrisome look.

"What are you doing in our woods you leech?!"

"Please sir, I'm just a traveler." The old man spoke.

Jet walked closer to the old man hitting his cane away. The man ran into Pipsqueak and fell, Pipsqueak then put his foot in his back. Everything about this screamed at me that something was seriously wrong.

"He's crazy," I said loud enough for Sokka to hear me. I jumped down as Sokka followed.

Smellerbee stood in my way, "Move it," I demanded. 

The old man groaned terrified at the sudden mobbing. I tried pushing forward but Sokka grabbed my hand. He clearly knows no one here is in their right mind.

"Do you like destroying towns?! Destroying families?! Do you?!" Jet protested looking down at the man.

"Please let me go! Have mercy," The old man pleaded while groaning  louder in pain.

"Does the Fire Nation let people go?! Does the Fire Nation have mercy?!" Jet raised his foot to kick the man.

"Don't!" I called out, pushing Smellerbee away. Sokka ran passed me grabbing Jets foot with his club. I sighed in relief.

"He's Fire Nation! Search him!"

Pipsqueak and Smellerbee did as they were ordered.

"But he's not hurting anyone!" Sokka said.

"Have you forgotten how the Fire Nation killed your mother? Remember why you fight!"

"We got his stuff, Jet!" Smellerbee held up the mans pouch.

"We fight soldiers. Not innocent people," I harshly said

"This doesn't feel right," Sokka added.

"Thats because it isn't. Jets just insane placing the blame of our pasts on someone who has nothing to do with the war but be a citizen to its nation,"

"It's what has to be done. Now let's get out of here," Jet responded, ignoring my comment and pushing past Sokka.

I stayed back helping the old man back up on his feet. He looked at me with fear until he saw my face. He relaxed a bit even though I wasn't happy at all with this situation.

"Come on Sokka, Kya!" Jet called which was more like an order if you asked me.

I bowed in apology and walked back.