☽ Chapter XVII ☾

“You wished to see me, my Lord?” enquired Thea as she took a seat in the empty chair opposite the long table in the Lord of Winterfell’s solar.

She avoided the spot where Lord Manderly tripped. Luckily for everyone, the man didn’t actually fall. Thea wasn’t sure if she could have helped him stand back up without the help of magic.
Funny how she already seemed to know that room like the back of her hand. The tattooed one and the scared one. Damn Umbridge and all her blasted kitten pictures.

“Yes I did, my Lady. Apologies for interrupting your morning.” nodded Lord Stark pulling her out of her strange and slightly murderous imagination.

“You didn’t interrupt, my Lord.”

The day was extremely muddy and rainy. Unfortunately for her and her friends, they had to cancel the horse trip they had scheduled. What a pity. Instead, Dacey and Alysane were with their mother, Wylla was helping her grandfather, and so far she hadn’t seen Alys.

“May I inquire what you wished to talk to me about?”

“I-”

For the first time since she knew him, she saw Lord Stark uncomfortable. The man played with his long bony fingers, moved documents around, shuffling papers as he sat as straight as he could. His lips were set in a thin line, his brow furrowed. if she didn’t know better she would say he looked afraid.

“Is everything alright, my Lord?”

He cleared his throat. The rain and wind howled outside.

“ I- Yes. Yes. I am sure you noticed my… dare I say distraction of these past few days.”

That was one way of putting it. She barely saw him for the last couple of days. And when she did he always seemed deep in thought. He barely paid attention to his children when they talked to him and asked more than once to repeat whatever they were saying to him.

“Yes, I did My Lord. Though I wouldn’t dare mention it. I don’t wish to intrude in your private affairs.”

“You are not my lady, I assure you.” he waved his hand, shooing away her worries. “Well then, on to the subject I suppose.” He paused. For some reason Thea dreaded this chat. “I have been talking to Lord Bolton lately. I suppose you know what I am talking about.” she nodded silently, “I didn’t make much of the matter at the moment, but later that same day, Lord Bolton brought it up again. Now I am no man for politics and tricks of the mind, I much prefer honesty. However, in this case I must confess that Lord Bolton’s words stayed in my mind…”

A heavy rock fell within her stomach. Had Lord Bolton noticed something amiss with her story? Was he trying to bring the matter to Lord Stark? Had he heard something, noticed something, suspected something? Was it something she had told Domeric? No. No, there was nothing suspicious with her conversations with Domeric. But then what? What would this strange eyed man have to say about her?”

“I am afraid I don’t know your meaning, my Lord.”

He looked her straight in the eyes.

“Marriage.”

Oh…

Her heart stopped. Her blood froze in her veins. Thunder rumbled outside, so loud it seemed to want to brust the very lands. Then the sky lightened up with the flashing strike of lightning. Thea shivered. Let it blow. Let it blow and take everything within. Let it show how utterly  furious she was.

How dare he. How dare he even think about broaching such a subject after the meeting the other day. Knowing what she told those lords. What it cost her. How. Dare. He.