☽ Chapter II ☾

She heard the sound of her calm breath entering and leaving her lungs, the hiss of the wind penetrating through the crack in the door and windows

She heard the sound of her calm breath entering and leaving her lungs, the hiss of the wind penetrating through the crack in the door and windows. She could hear Kreacher somewhere in the kitchen banging pots and pans and rubbing silverware, the crackling of wood, and of the red embers in the fireplace.

Her concentration remained steady despite these sounds that would mean nothing to others. The dead around her, paralyzed in their places, remained silent.

She felt that warm sensation inside her, her beautiful companion of years tingled, sliding through her veins, flooding her with a sense of peace. Magic slid, swirled, danced in her flesh and soul.

She thought to herself and at the same time to the others, to another entity: "Harlan and Hamish Peverell. Let me see them, touch them, feel them. Let me talk to them and listen to their words. Harlan and Hamish, the Peverell Twins."

And she felt that strange sensation again, a touch that was both hot and cold, a solution and at the same time a problem. She knew she was heard and knew she was answered.

The moment she opened her eyes, they were both looking at her calmly. In front of the fireplace, in front of the tongues of fire that she was able to admire through their translucent bodies, dressed in carmine and black, two brothers holding hands opened their mouths and said: "You summoned us and we came."

When she thought of the Peverell Twins, she imagined them old and tired, with white hair and wrinkled skin... but those in front of her were two little boys with shoulder-length black hair, brown eyes, and youth in their soul. They were thirteen again, the age when they were separated.

Amalthea knew it was something they decided. Just as Sirius and Remus chose to look slightly younger and healthier, the brothers chose their stolen youth. They would now live in the world of the dead what they were unable to live together in the world of the living.

"What do you want from us, Mistress of Death?" Their innocent voices sounded together.

Calmly the Potter heiress replied, "My name is Amalthea, I am the last of your family line."

The twins smiled: "We know, Amalthea Potter. We don't have much to do since we died other than watching our bloodline."

I suppose you don't..." Thea thought. Each spirit was a different case from what she realized. Some were free, fed up with mortal life and desirous of comfort, they went on to another plane unreachable by the living, where they would be happy. Others, like her parents, Sirius, Remus, Tonks, and her beloved Fred, chose to stay on the earth plane as long as necessary, watching their loved ones and the unfolding of their lives. And there were still some who had unresolved issues, things that bound them to the land and didn't allow them to move on, and they would only achieve peace when they finally solve that problem.

"How can we be useful?" They asked.

Amalthea exchanged a look with her father, who nodded confidently.