☽ Chapter III ☾

That night had been long and endless

That night had been long and endless. There was a lot to discuss, a lot of things to deal with and put in order. It was all too much for a moment, exhaustion dominated the body of the young Potter, and even the dead who could never feel tired pretended for a moment.

Was that even what Amalthea really wanted? She knew she wanted to leave, she needed a break, a break from everything and everyone that tormented her. She wanted to feel like she was the owner of her life, the lady of her destiny. She wanted to live for herself for the first time and not carry the problems of so many others on her shoulders as she had to carry all these years... But leaving for another world? It was scary... So much could go wrong. What if Hecate didn't hear her prayers? What if the Goddess listened and granted her wish but Amalthea could never return? What if she could never see Hermione, Ron, the Weasley's, Neville, Luna, Andromeda, and her little Teddy, who needed her so badly?

Seeing her discomfort and doubts, James said: "Nobody is forcing you to go, pup. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. "

"Yes..." confirmed Fred. "Choose what you think will make you happy and not others."

Amalthea heard their words but doubts were still firmly implanted in her mind. "Teddy needs me. Traveling to another country is one thing, but traveling to another world with no guarantee of ever being able to return is another. If I went and never came back, Teddy would feel like I left him and I can't do that to him."

"Oh, Thea..." began Remus, with his scars glowing in the light of the flames from the fireplace and from the candles that Kreacher had lit all over the place. "Teddy would always know that his godmother loved him and cared for him. He might not understand for a while, but he would never blame you for anything. "

Amalthea's long hair was now gathered at the top of her head, her legs curled up on the sofa and in her beautiful dark blue dress. She hid her face in her hands and stifled a frustrated cry: "Remus, I promised that I would protect and love him as if he was mine. He has already lost so much, he lost you... I don't want to add more pain to that poor innocent baby."

"Then take him with you." Suggested Sirius, with an air of uncertainty in his aristocratic features.

"No!" Thea had been quick to reject that suggestion with a heavy heart. "It's too dangerous, we don't even know if it will work. That boy is the last spark of hope in Andromeda's life now that she has no one left, I would never take him away from her."

"Tonks and I decided that you were the best choice for Teddy's godmother because we knew you were the right person to love and protect him, and we never regretted that choice. Teddy is my son and I love him with every bit of me and every part of my soul, but I love you too. And I know you've suffered too much, and you've sacrificed almost everything you had. So I assure you here and now, and if you want to summon Tonks she'll say the same as I... It's okay to choose this for you. Teddy will be safe with Andromeda, she will ensure that he always knows how much his godmother loves him, just as his parents do." Remus Lupin spoke in a voice so calm, full of feelings and assurances, that it brought thick tears to Amalthea's eyes for a moment.