The Wedding Photographer P.1 - Pete

She cleaned her camera lens and had a relaxed smile as she shot photos of the bride. Her dress was long and eggshell white, the bodice was trimmed with lace. The bride softly smiled and let the wind tousle her long blonde hair.

"Perfect, that's good for the individual portraits. Can I get the Groom and Groomsmen over here?" She shouted in the general direction of her coworker. She had been doing photography all her life, but only recently weddings. Her last four years in the business were at a small family portrait studio.

Moments later her coworker, Sandy, directed the men into a wonky line like a sheepherder would do to sheep. "They're all yours." The older woman threw her wrinkled hand in the direction of the men and walked away.

"Thanks, Sandy." She shouted although Sandy didn't hear.

She quickly introduced herself and noted the relationships with the men, who were most comfortable with each other, who avoided each other. She placed them in a line and stood them as naturally as possible and began to chat them up. She asked about the reception, what were the vows like? And how did they feel?

"Congratulations to the groom, by the way." She shouted at the party and smiled.

The party erupted with cheers and the groom shyly blushed. His blue eyes twinkled as he smiled at his best man, his brother Pete. He was an awkward guy who towered over the wedding party, he smiled awkwardly, and spoke awkwardly. But it was incredibly charming and cute to her.

"I need individual couple shots," She started walking towards Pete, "Starting with the maid of honor and best man." After a few minutes of scrambling, someone found the maid of honor. She posed casually with Pete and linked her arm around his. Pete, however, was a tense mess.

"Relax." She smiled and rested a soft hand on his shoulder and prepared her camera. He melted under her touch and watched her intently as she assessed the lighting and studied the composition.

A friend of Pete's stood idly and cracked jokes. Pete began to loosen up, he smiled and laughed, his sweet lips curled and his sapphire blue eyes wrinkled. In a flash of a moment, she caught the maid of honor latched on to Pete by the arm smiling up to him as he looked onward and laughed.

The sun shone perfectly on the still landscape and made Pete's eyes glisten. It was the best photo she had taken yet.

She finished their session and worked for the next hour on the rest of the party's portraits. Pete watched from afar and admired her focus. Unbothered by the conversation around him, he thought how silky her hair was, how he wanted to run his calloused fingers through it. He planned how he would 'happen' to bump into her, chat her up, explain how his band needs a photographer, and casually seduce her.

But seduce wasn't the right word, he wanted to love her. He imagined holding her as he made love to her, gently cradling her head and brushing her soft hair away from her face. How he would hold her long after they were done and take her to eat afterward. Just the two of them, he thought.

She collected her stuff and pinned her long, black hair with a pencil. She made her way to her car and packed her equipment into the van Sandy would drive back to the office. Pete cleared his throat and approached her.

"Hi, I don't know if you remember me, but I'm the best man. You took my photo earlier," She begins to speak but he continues, "I need a photographer and I looked over your portfolio after you took my photos, and I'm thoroughly impressed."

"Thank you." She blushed and smiled, "Why do you need a photographer?"

"I'm in a band and we need someone to go with us on tour and take some shots for advertising purposes, y'know." He leaned uncoolly but tried to be nonchalant as he laid his elbow on the side of her car. She stared blankly at his awkward stance and continued to load her equipment into the car.

"We would want to do a shoot with you before the tour, of course, to see if we like how you photograph us." She stops packing and looks at him. "If that's okay with you," He spurts out.

"Yeah, that's fine." She smiles coolly and enters her car. She rolls the window down and starts the car, "I have a busy schedule with the wedding shoots, it's wedding season." She rolls her eyes. He doesn't care to ask what wedding season is, he waits patiently for her to stop talking. "Just try to let me know as soon as possible what day is good for you."

"Before you leave," He rests his hands in the open window and leans into the car. "I need your number."

She blinks.

"So I can call you about the shoot?"

"Oh, yes." She laughs absentmindedly and pulls a napkin and pen out of her glove box. She hastily scribbles her number and hands him the napkin. "This is my personal number, feel free to call. But don't spam me." She laughed.

"Bye-bye!" She pulls away and drives off, leaving a heartbroken Pete. He holds the napkin tightly and replays their conversation. Was he too awkward? Or forward? She seemed horrified when he asked for her number. Maybe she didn't share the same strong feelings he had for her. It was silly of him to think she would, but he would call her the second he got home.

She mimed hitting her head as she drove away, replaying the interaction. Did her shyness show? Did she seem like an asshole? That was something she always dealt with, she was so shy and reserved that people always assumed she was a bitch. Many of her friends used to say, "You always had this look on your face like you hated everyone and everything." They'd laugh. She would laugh and explain she was just shy and had a hard time being outgoing, but it affected her and made her more self-conscious every time someone would point it out.

She got home to a message on her voicemail, "Hi, this is Pete. Pete Townshend the one guy from the wedding? I was wondering if you'd like to discuss the day we should shoot over a coffee or tea- whatever you prefer," He took a deep breath in and paused. "Let me know what you think. Good night."

She rang back and he answered instantly.

"The plan sounds good, Pete." She tiredly lulled into the phone. "I like coffee if you don't mind." She gives him the address to her favorite café, Central Café. They agree to meet at noon in her favorite booth in the back left of the café. She thinks about how romantic and intimate they would be, the dim lighting and smell of coffee filling the air.

His breathing hitched at the sound of her sleepy voice and he tried to compose himself. "Terrific." He cringes at his response.

"Good night."

"Good night." He smiles and hangs up the phone.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

I originally had this as a small story on my page but it fits better with the other one shots. Warning the next part gets steamy!!! 

Much love, xoxo Alex