Chapter 12: Not Her Fate

Evangeline was the last to arrive at the already-formed council. She took a deep breath and strode to the empty seat by Legolas. She could not look at him, a bit worried at what he thought of her, so she glanced at Boromir instead. He caught her stare and, though his face stayed serious, gave her a wink.

He probably finds it amusing that a woman would be at this council. A slight smile played across her lips.

Lord Elrond began. "Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you've been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it!" He looked around the council, starting with Legolas. "You will unite, or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom." He gestured to Frodo. "Bring forth the Ring, Frodo."

Frodo, looking very small, placed the golden band onto a stand in the middle of the circular council. He breathed a sigh of relief, feeling the lift of his burden. A murmur shot around. Evangeline looked to Legolas and back to the ring. This is it. This is what Anorath helped forged so long ago.

Boromir stood up, rambling about a dream he had. All eyes were fixed on him, though they paid little attention to what he was saying. He reached out to touch the ring.

Elrond shot up from his seat. "Boromir!"

Gandalf rumbled. Mordor's black speech stormed through the air and faded into a chant. The world shook and a darkness was cast over the company. Through Gandalf's chanting, everyone heard the thundering voice of the Dark Lord. Elrond held onto his forehead. Boromir turned in all directions. Legolas gripped the edges of his chair and Evangeline froze. She could npt understand what was being said, but the same dark voice taunted her in her head. Your curse, your bane! Surely you will not refuse this gift?

When Gandalf stopped chanting, the darkness vanished and all silently sat in their seats. "Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here!" rebuked Elrond.

"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond. For the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the west! The ring is altogether evil!"

Boromir shook his head and stood. "But it is a gift! A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring?" He addressed everyone present, "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay by the blood of our people, while your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy, let us use it against him!"

Aragorn spoke up. "You cannot wield it! None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master." Evangeline agreed, but she could not speak. It wasn't until Legolas lay a firm hand over hers that she realized she was shaking.

"And what would a Ranger know of this matter?" Boromir shot back.

Legolas could not take it anymore. "This is no mere Ranger! He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn." He stared pointedly at Boromir. "You owe him your allegiance."

Boromir was shocked. "This...this is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor." Legolas finished.

It was hard to tell whether Aragorn was pained by the revelation or simply embarrassed. "Havo dad (Be seated), Legolas."

"Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king." Boromir glared at Aragorn before sitting back down. He was a wanderer who had not done anything for Gondor. He was not there as the orcs attacked. He was not there to help Gondor rise against them. Why would he show up now to reclaim his throne?

"Aragorn is right. We cannot use it!" Gandalf agreed.

Elrond stood up. "You have only one choice. The Ring must be destroyed."