Chapter 47: From the Forest

Legolas crossed the bridge outside of the palace, ignoring the questioning looks from the guards. Little did they suspect that Legolas planned to come back that very night, using the cover of darkness. He would not leave Mirkwood without Estelwen.

He walked through the forest until he felt that he was far enough. Closing his eyes, he placed his hand against a tree and leaned his forehead against the bark. If he had asked, his father would have likely let Estelwen go. However, Legolas did not trust his emotions at the moment. His fingers curled into a fist. Why did he not set mother's spirit free? Does he not feel any regret? Legolas felt betrayed. And how could he have kept this from me for so long? Did I never have the right to know what happened to my own mother? If it were not for Estelwen's vision, Legolas would have never asked the dead about his mother. He would have never come to Mirkwood to discover that his mother's restless spirit still dwelt in these woods.

"Díheno nin (forgive me)," Legolas whispered. His mind was clouded with hurt, confusion, and anger. He did not know what to do. He neither moved nor opened his eyes. His mind became one with the silence of the forest. Cool air breezed against his skin, indicated that the sinking sun had set.

Leaves crunched several paces behind him. There was the unmistakable shing of elvish steel, followed by the slightest of gasps. Legolas opened his eyes. "I know you would never harm any of the elves." He turned around. "You have not the heart."

"Legolas..." Estelwen stared at him, dazed. She lowered her. "But how?"

Legolas moved until he was close enough to reach out and touch her. He longed to stroke her face, to hold her close, but he knew now was not the time. Something was still holding her back from accepting his love. Until he knew what it was, he would not make her feel insecure or pressured by his affections. He focused on her eyes, trying to read what she was thinking. "How did you escape? The guards would have never let you past them."

"Vines broke through the walls of my cell, allowing me passage outside of the palace walls. There is magic at work, a kind I have never...seen before." Estelwen could feel the pulse of magic in the air – gentle, persistent, and, in a certain way, familiar.

Legolas noticed her eyes turn sapphire blue. "Mani naa ta (what is it)?"

Estelwen's heartbeat raced. The pulse was no longer a feeling, but a voice calling her name. And without a doubt, she knew who it was. "Amariel."

Legolas realized who was at work. Wonder filled his voice. "She calls to you."

Estelwen slowly turned her gaze to him. "But how can it be? She has only spoken in my dreams, not like this."

"Her spirit has dwelt in this forest since the day she passed." Legolas turned his head, hearing movement in the forest. He gently intertwined his fingers with Estelwen's. "Come." He led her, careful not to crack a single twig on the forest ground. Not a single animal could be heard. There was only the night.

The wind blew softly around them, rustling the leaves that lay on the ground. Legolas stopped and closed his eyes, feeling a sense of peace, respect, and comfort in his heart. Without looking, he knew she was here. His mother.

Estelwen waited. One moment, there was nothing. The next, the elleth in her dreams stood in front of her. Amariel. As she walked towards Estelwen, her feet did not touch the ground. Her red hair billowed in the wind, wildly flaming in different directions. The long, silk dress she wore was mixed with green and brown hues that almost blended in with the dark forest around her. Though her face was beautiful, it held no joy. Her red lips were solemn, as if they had not smiled in years. Her blue eyes contained a faraway look, as if she saw much more than what was happening at the moment.