Chapter 15 - Temporary (2)

Henri's apartment wasn't big or beautifully designed, but it was good enough. There was a living room, a kitchen, two bathrooms and four bedrooms.

Aaron's room was pretty small.

To the left, upon entering, there was a white desk. On it resided a small computer setup with a very thin monitor. The computer itself, connected to a power outlet, was the size of a pencil case. Everything else was wireless.

On the right side was a wooden storage dresser with six empty drawers. A white virtual reality helmet stood on top of the furniture.

Finally, at the back, there was a sleeping capsule. It was a lot like Aaron's old one. The sleeping capsule had a glass window and an ergonomic mattress that adjusted itself to the person's physique.

"That's funny. A new home to live inside. Well, at least it's calm here." Aaron wasn't sure if he should be laughing or crying.

"I need to get more powerful."

...

The night had just ended. Aaron was lying down in his capsule. He had finally decided to remove his new VR helmet.

Before leaving his capsule, Aaron made sure to take his firearm out of the small net that was next to him.

Isaac was leaning on the wall in the corridor, deep in thoughts.

"Hey, Isaac, right?" asked Aaron.

Isaac was startled a bit but then relaxed his senses. "Yes. Good morning Aaron. It appears that you haven't slept enough."

"I was playing Daine Online."

Isaac smiled. "The virtual reality world? I also play on it from time to time. We could play together sometime. Do you play on the new version or the 150-year-old one?"

He looked at Aaron's weary look. "Wait, have you been gaming all night?!"

Playing a VR game all night was equivalent to staying still without falling asleep. His brain hadn't had time to relax at all.

"Don't worry, I'm fine." Aaron walked to the end of the hallway.

He leaned on a window and looked outside.

The view was beautiful.

Snowflakes fell abundantly onto the thick snowbanks. Small children were sculpting a snowman in a nearby park. A little farther away, older kids were sliding down icy slopes, trying to go as far as possible.

"I'm curious about something. How come you bear the Tremblay family name yet aren't very wealthy?"

"Unlike the Amon guild, founded by your parents, the Tremblay guild has been an independent democratic guild for centuries. But, the people with my last name still typically work for the federal government."

Isaac arrived next to Aaron and observed the scenery. "The whole family works for one of the Tremblay Guild's special forces, Snowrider. I started with my first mission only a week ago, as is tradition when a Tremblay turns thirteen."

Aaron was shocked. "At thirteen?"

...

Aaron, Isaac and Alex were walking to the side of a wide asphalt road. They were all dressed in thick coats and long boots. Everyone had a backpack wrapped around their shoulders.

In Blue City -Aaron's old home- the streets were in the sky. These ones were on the ground instead. It had taken Aaron some time to get used to Aspen City's layout.

"So you actually go to the same school as us?" Aaron was surprised that Alex, a 19-year-old, went to the same school as Isaac and him.

Alex replied, "Yes, the Central Academy of Magic covers everything from primary school to university. Chances are you will stay for a while."

They eventually arrived at a bus stop and waited a few minutes in the cold. A bus came to pick them up.

Aaron looked out the window. 'I have been in the Tremblay guild for over a week. People over here act very nice. There doesn't seem to be any racism either,' he thought.

As he looked at the buildings, he added, 'The skyscrapers are smaller than the ones in the Amon Guild. We are in the capital, yet there isn't one building taller than 250 meters.'

Aaron glimpsed at the forest hiding behind the cracks. 'Nature is also treated much better. There's even a forest of 500 hectares where animals can live freely. When I get my revenge and become the new leader of the Aaron guild, I will make sure to follow some of the Tremblay Guild's beliefs.'

The bus suddenly stopped. Aaron, Isaac and Alex had arrived at the academy.

There were multiple buildings, restaurants, and a big green park at the center. Students and personnel were walking in every direction.

"So this is my new school. It looks much better and bigger than my old one!" Aaron was amazed.

Alex started walking away from them. "Well, I'll see you guys later, have a good day."