Chapter 13

I followed the smell to a dank alley. It was stronger and fresher.

Okay. You already know what you're going to see. It's going to be another body of some sort.

I crept down the dark alley but stopped when I heard a strange noise. It sounded primal. A slurping, grunting, growling sound.

What the hell...

I tip-toed along a dumpster and peered around the side of it. Clapping my hand to my mouth, I tried to stifle a scream. A strange, pale, bipedal creature stooped over top a body, eating it.

Is it eating? Drinking? What the hell?

It turned to look at me. The eyes were red, and the mouth. Oh, my Goddess the mouth. Razor-sharp teeth barred while it let out a high-pitched guttural scream at me as blood dribbled down its chin. The ears were pointed and it seemed there was no hair on them. It raised a hand with sharp claws into the air and looked like it might attack.

My heart pounded in my chest, I was positive the creature could hear it. My inner wolf wanted out and I wasn't about to stop her. My bones cracked and shifted as my muscles stretched and contorted, shifting my body into the large silver wolf. Fur sprouted all over my body in a thick, protective coat.

I felt as though I was pushed to the back as the primal wolf took control. We let out a howl while the creature screeched at us. My wolf bared fang as the creature ran toward us. It bared the mouth of razor-sharp teeth before stopping. We whipped our head around to see Ashley running toward us.

I low growled at her as a warning to stay back as I heard the sound of the creature's claws scrapping on the ground.

My wolf wanted to charge at it and attack. I overruled that decision and we backed up. She fought me but relented. The creature screeched at us again before scrambling down a drain.

"Ellie? Ellie! Are you okay?"

I nodded my furry head as I shifted back to human.

"Did you see it? Did you see that? What was that?" I screamed, scrambling to my feet, realizing I was stark naked with no clothes.

"I...I....don't know?" Ashley pulled off her sweater and handed it to me.

"The...creature. Whatever it was?" I pulled the sweater as more people arrived.

"What did it look like?" someone else asked.

"Hairless. It was so white. A mouth full of razor teeth. Covered in blood."

"What?" a man in a police uniform asked approaching us. "Is that a body?"

I nodded.

"Are they alive?" he asked running to them.

"I-I don't know. There was something eating them."

"There's no flesh missing," he said. "There is a wound on the stomach though."

"What was that? Why did it look like that? Why was it eating them?" I scream cried.

"Call your dad."

I grabbed my cell phone from my tattered pants and called.

"Ellie?" he asked.

"Dad! There was another attack. I saw it. I saw the creature. I don't know what it is. It-it climbed into the drain!"

"Where?"

"Silver Peak." Tears streamed down my face.

"I'm on my way."

I put my phone away as the police officer stood up.

"Who did you call?" he asked.

"My dad. Beta Kenrick from Moon Mist. He's been investigating these attacks."