Chapter 16

Dad stood up and looked at us. "I think it would probably be best if you two didn't spend any more time here. Move on to Deer Creek and find out what you can there then hurry to Winter Lake."

"Why?"

"Those things are here."

"Dad, they're everywhere."

"I think your father is right, Ellie," Alastair said, emerging from a dark hallway.

"My love, I would rather stay here," Ashley said, resting her head on his chest.

"It's not safe here right now."

"It's not safe anywhere."

"My love?" dad asked.

I leaned toward him and whispered, "They're mates. They had the spark."

"Ohhhhh. That explains it then, but I don't think I've ever met mates that are as opposite as Ashley and Alastair." He looked at them both and nodded. "Congratulations. That is most excellent news."

"Thank you, Beta Kenrick."

"I still think that you and Ellie need to leave here though. Immediately."

Ashley looked up at Alastair. He frowned and let out a loud sigh.

"And I still agree."

"Fine," Ashely said pouting. "We'll leave."

"Now," dad urged. "Please, before there's another attack."

"Dad, it's not going to matter. The drainage system is all connected. They'll be able to attack anywhere at any time. Not to mention we have no idea how many of those things there are."

"It would make your father happy if you would just listen for once, young pup."

I sighed heavily and looked up at him. "Fine, old wolf."

"Thank you." He wrapped me in a hug and kissed the top of my head.

"I guess we're going to go now then."

"Right now?" Ashley questioned.

"Yeah. I mean if we want to get into a hotel in Deer Creek before it's too late."

"I'll call ahead. Go to the River Bend. It's the nicest hotel in that town and it's not far from where their Beta and Alpha live."

I nodded and walked toward the doors.

"I'll drive you two to the hotel."

"Thanks, dad."

I climbed into the back seat of the SUV and smiled at his driver.

"Uh, Miss Lunaire?"

"You guys are driving me and Ashley back to the hotel. Dad's coming."

Ashley climbed in on the other side and slumped in her seat.

"So, tell me about it. What was it like? What did you feel? What do you feel now?"

"Oh my Goddess, Ellie. It's incredible. I've never felt like this before. It started as, like, this weird rumbly electricity feeling in my stomach and it just spread through my entire body. It was like my soul, my wolf, saw a missing piece of her. Like, we were always meant to be. His scent fills a specific spot right in my soul."

"I am so jealous."

"You'll find your mate, Ellie. I can't believe that you of all people wouldn't have a mate."

"Do you know when you want your marking ceremony?"

"As soon as possible! Right now."

I laughed heartily. Unlike what my sister and Alex did, the marking bite is supposed to be a very intimate and personal moment. It's when a wolf is at their most vulnerable. There is usually an exciting party before the couple steals off alone. When the time is right they mark one another on the neck right at the crook where your neck meets your shoulder.