Chapter 31

Andrew removed his hat and dipped into a low bow. "Princess Elanor."

"Sir."

"Okay," King Orsand started, sitting down. "Let's talk. Quickly. Ellie, I'm so sorry we're doing this today of all days."

"It's quite alright. This is something we need to talk about."

"Is it true?" Andrew asked.

"Is what true?" I questioned.

"I'm sorry again, Ellie. I told him."

"About..."

King Orsand nodded his head.

"It was necessary. Please, believe me when I say you can trust me. Just as much as I trust you."

"You trust me? Why?"

"I just do."

"Okay. So what's going on?"

"There have been more attacks," Andrew said.

"More? Where?"

"Just north of here."

"Do we know who it was?" I asked.

"The body recovered was not wolf," Andrew told me.

"So what was it?"

"The body we found was human."

"Is it just the one?" I asked. "We've found a few on travels here."

King Orsand shook his head while standing and pacing around the office. "I don't understand how they're even getting into my kingdom. A human hasn't set foot here in millennia."

"Orsand, calm yourself, my friend."

"I'm sorry. This is just something I was never prepared for. The last rulers to even see a human were King Aelfred and Queen Diana."

"The beginning?"

"Yes."

"The big question is, how did a human get into our realm?"

"We have no idea. A human has never been able to get through the protective layer."

"Okay."

I pursed my lips and stared out the window behind King Orsand. The sky was clear and filled with stars. The moon hung high in the sky in all of its full moon glory.

Humans have made it into our realm. A human has not stepped foot here in millennia. How? How is this possible?

"If they can't come here on their own, then someone had to have let them in."

"But we're protected by our Goddess."

"Yes, but someone had to let them in. That is the only logical explanation."

I closed my eyes, focusing deep within myself. I could feel the mark grow warm on my head. I opened my eyes as light emanated from me. It encompassed the entire room and Artemis stepped forward.

"What is this magic?" Andrew cried out in surprise.

"Daughter." She smiled.

"Mother."

"You are not pleased. Something is wrong?"

I nodded. "How would humans be able to cross the barrier from their land to ours?"

"Humans? It's impossible. They cannot."

"I beg pardon, your great Goddess, but we found one."

Artemis spun on her heels to look at Andrew. She narrowed her eyes and stared at him for a long moment. Almost like she was trying to remember him.