Chapter 20

"What do I do if they show up?" I asked.

"Just stay with me. I need to find out if Alastair is coming," Ashley said.

"Yeah. I'll stay with you guys." I chewed my bottom lip for a second. "Maybe we can get dinner in our room? I'm wiped."

"Me too."

The thought of having to face Harmony and Alex again made my stomach hurt. I knew I had to come to terms with what happened, even if it just felt like rubbing salt in the wounds. I stared out the window of the car as the driver zoomed around the streets back to the castle.

The sky darkened by the time we returned, and the soft glow of light shone down on the driveway.

We both climbed out and reached for our bags.

"I can grab those," the driver said.

"Thank you."

The thought of climbing into bed was more and more appealing.

"Welcome back," Phil said, opening the doors.

"Hi. Thanks."

"Did you go to Sheila's?" he questioned.

"Yes. Thank you for the recommendation! They are amazing there."

"The ladies' packages," the driver said, entering behind us.

"Thanks, Bruce. You can leave them there. We'll have them taken upstairs."

"Great, thanks, Phil."

"Hey, Phil?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"You can call me Ashley. Is there any way we could get a snack or something?"

"We have dinner warmed up and waiting for you both. Where would you like to eat, Ashley?"

"Our room would be great if that's possible," I answered.

"Right away, ma'am."

"Oh, it's Elanor. Well, Ellie. You can call me Ellie."

He smiled and nodded before snapping his finger, summoning even more butlers. "These parcels are to go to the guest room."

He turned to a woman standing next to him. "And dinner will be taken there as well. Please, be sure it gets to them in a timely manner."

The woman nodded and hurried into the depths of the castle.

"Ladies, please relax and enjoy yourself until dinner is brought up to you."

"You are awesome, Phil." Ashely smiled at him before running up the stairs.

"Hey, Phil?"

"Yes, Ellie?"

"That smell, what is it?"

He inhaled deeply and looked at me inquisitively. "What smell?"

"How does nobody smell that?"

"Can you describe it?" he asked.

"It's kind of hard to. It's like this musky, spicey, sweet, intoxicating smell."

"Hmm. That is curious. I don't smell anything like that."

I sighed and shrugged my shoulders. "Maybe I still just need to get used to this wolf nose of mine. Thanks anyway."

I started to follow Ashley but stopped. The smell was almost overpowering.

"I have to find it," I said. "It's driving me absolutely insane."