Chapter 33

I didn't sleep. I didn't want the night to end and dreaded as the sun slowly climbed in the horizon. The night was bittersweet and this was the absolute perfect moment.

I rolled over in bed and stared at Edmond as he slept. His chest rose and fell slowly. I reached over and brushed the hair out of his face, just watching him.

"It's not polite to stare," he said, his eyes still closed.

"Then don't be so damn handsome."

He opened one eye and smiled at me. "Nice bedhead."

I laughed lightly. "Yeah. It's kind of has a mind of its own."

"I love it."

"Can we just stay here forever?" I asked.

"I wish. But we do have to get up. Soon."

"Soon? Do we have time to, uh...." I waggled my eyebrows at him.

A devilish smile crossed his lips. "Of course.'

He sat up and pounced on me. We spent as much time rolling around in the bed, kissing, touching, and being as intimate as we could be until a knock at our bedroom door.

"Yes?" Edmond called out, panting.

"Uh, sir, your breakfast is in the living space."

"Thanks. You can just leave it."

"I have a message from the king," the voice called.

"Ugh." Edmond got up, grabbed a pair of his lounge pants, and went for the door. "What?"

I heard whispers followed by Edmond sighing heavily.

"Okay. Thanks. Please be sure Beta Alastair and his mate are made aware and to meet us here in twenty minutes." He shut the door and turned to look at me. "We have to hurry."

"Why? What happened?" I propped myself up on my elbows, the sheet slipping down the front of my body.

"There was another attack."

"What where?" I sat upright.

"Apparently everywhere."

"What do you mean everywhere?"

"These creatures, whatever they are, aren't stupid. They executed coordinated attacks late in the night in every pack's territory."

"What?"

"Yeah. They're locking down all of the territories so we have to get into the Blackpaw Howlers territory before the guards close off our roads."

"Shit."

I jumped out of bed and pulled on a t-shirt and leggings while scrambling for my boots. Edmond shoved clothes into a backpack while I did the same. We hurriedly drank a cup of coffee while scarfing down a breakfast sandwich.

"Ellie?" Ashley called while knocking on the door.

"Come in!"

"What is going on? I was told to pack and be here?"

"We have to leave now."

"Now? I thought we weren't going until later," Alastair said.

"That was before the coordinated attacks last night," Edmond answered.

"What? Where?"

"Across all of the packs. We have to go before the roads are shut down."

We grabbed our packs and hurried to King Orsand's office. He had the sword and bow sitting on his desk, ready for us.