Something New

Severus had been distracted all week. Every turn he saw Hermione, and it was driving him insane. Yes, they knew each others feelings, however they could do nothing about it. He could tell she was trying her hardest to work on the Legilimency and emptying her mind. So why could he still hear her thoughts? It seemed to be getting louder and more frequent. What was worse was he hadn't found anything on this mysterious connection. It was driving him insane. Not like he didn't love hearing her inner voice in his head, it was simply confusing. 

Why do I keep on looking at him. He said we are to not act on our feelings. Head down, work on your assignment. He glanced at Hermione from his desk. He'd instructed the class to read from the textbook today. She'd obviously already read it, by her earlier thoughts, and was now working on the essay he had been thinking of assigning. He never said it aloud either. She just got out her quill and started writing. Her mouth kept on twitching out of annoyance, with herself possibly. 

He sighed inwardly. She looked so pretty when she was annoyed. Even when she was though, she was still focused on her work. Man, she was pretty. If she was older, not a student, I would ask her out. Hermione's eyes flickered upwards towards him. Their eyes held onto each other for a while. He blinked at Hermione, then looked at his papers. He wasn't supposed to have let her in. How did she hear it? He was one of the best Legilimency masters in the wizarding world. He could even fool Voldemort himself. Why does this girl and him have a connection?

He ignored her the rest of the class period. Her eyes burned him so badly, it was like lava flowing in his veins. "Class dismissed, get out." He slammed his book closed and looked at the class angrily. They all tripped over himself to get out of view of his glare. The one person that took her time, Hermione. She didn't seem to be scared of his outburst. Tomorrow they were supposed to meet again for another lesson. Severus didn't know how he would survive it. He can barely survive shielding his mind for one class period with her. 

She placed her books in her bag neatly and rolled her parchment up, quill sticking out from the top. I wonder what is wrong with Professor Snape. What was wrong with him? As if she didn't know. He huffed in amusement. "Miss Granger," he stated slowly. He didn't know what he was doing. She looked at him with a semi blank expression on her face. Severus got up and walked around his desk, eventually ending up in front of Hermione. "You probably have guessed already that we have been hearing each others thoughts since first day."

She nodded. "I've tried to ignore it, honestly. You said to not act on our feelings, so that's what I'm trying to do. Harry and Ron seem to think I've gone insane." She let out a small laugh. 

He smiled a little.. "Yes, well, it seems to be getting worse. I've been hearing your thoughts all period. I know how hard not acting on your feelings must be, being a teenager and all."

She raised her eyebrow. "Being a teenager? You think that because I am a teenage girl that is the reason why I am having a hard time controlling  my feelings?" She pursed her lips and her nostrils flaired angrily. 

Severus eyes darkened at her tone. "Watch your tone Miss Granger, I'm still your teacher."

Hermione laughed. "A teacher doesn't say their student can't control their feelings," she hissed. 

Drawing himself up to his full height, Severus glared at Hermione. While he still admired her beauty and braveness all these years, he hated her outbursts. She sometimes jumped to the wrong conclusions. "Miss Granger, I never said you had bad control because you were a teenage girl. I said it must be hard considering you are a teenager. You're hormones are everywhere and you are dealing with a great deal of stress with the Dark Lord and school and being friends with Potter." He stared at her for a long while, watching her face go from angry to guilty. 

"I'm sorry, Professor. I guess I spoke out of turn." She looked down at the ground. It was true. I'm a teenage girl that does have problems with their moods and feelings. And it has been hard not thinking of Snape. 

It took a lot of control on Severus' part to refrain from responding to Hermione. He gritted his teeth and watched her fumble with her ink bottle in her hand. I'm so embarassed. Severus is right, I do act like a teenage girl. I need to learn to control myself. Severus sighed. "Miss Granger, have you been doing your exercises?" 

She nodded. "Yes, I've been doing my best at trying to empty my mind However, I always end up thinking of something I need to do. Homework, classes, Voldemort." 

"Speak not his name!" Severus hissed, flinching. His arm burned a little as she said it. Hermione stepped back, looking at him for the first time with a little fear and worry. He had indistinctly grabbed his arm and rubbed his mark. Looking down where she was looking, he realized he was rubbing his mark. He stopped and straightened up. "Try to imagine you're in a place where no one can bother you. A 'happy' place if you will."

Hermione nodded thoughtfully. Maybe being in Snape's office free of the boys and bothers. Snape and I writing, only the sound of qui-- Severus raised an eye brow. He found it odd that he didn't hear any more. Surely Hermione couldn't have mastered it that quick. Possibly she had stopped thinking, realizing that Severus could still hear her. "Sir, have you found anything on the connection?" 

Severus shook his head. "No, I've been through my private library over and over again. There is nothing on this connection between us." 

She set her bag down and started pacing thoughtfully, ink bottle still in hand. "Possibly there might be something in the restricted section. Not many students go there. Perhaps you could write a note for me and meet me tomorrow morning there before students get up we could put our minds together and try to find something. The last resort I can think of is ask Dumbledore."

The restricted section might have something. They did have a small selection of books that Severus didn't. "I don't think Albus will know, however, telling him would mean we would have to tell him of our feelings. Him and his 'love' nonsense would be his answer though. He would be the very last resort. I will meet you tomorrow, early and we will go and look. Madame Prince will let us in."

Hermione nodded. "Tomorrow early, see you then." She got her bag and left Severus with his thoughts. Do I want to find out the true reason of this?  Do I truly want to stop hearing her voice? She smiled and waved as she closed the door behind her. She obviously heard that by her smile. Severus was in deep trouble. He liked Hermione Granger.