CHAPTER TWO | SLOANE,WAKE UP

TW: DRUG USE

CHAPTER TWOSLOANE, WAKE UP

CHAPTER TWO
SLOANE, WAKE UP

"Uh, yeah? Why?"

Sloane scratched the back of her neck. The hell? Why would she say that? This girl had never done drugs in her life. Surely, Sloane wasn't about to start now.

"Oh, um, I'm just getting stressed with, like, college applications and stuff. I need something to just, like, take the edge off," she lied through her teeth. Sloane wasn't worried about college applications, she was already accepted, early admission at Vanderbilt. Not that Sloane was undeserving - the Harrington girl made straight A's and had perfect attendance, quite the opposite of her rambunctious older brother. However, a large part of her acceptance to Vanderbilt was dependent on her daddy's notable alumni status and rather large annual donations.

"Okay, yeah. I sold my last bit of weed I had on me, but uh - can you come over? I have more at my, uh, house."

"Oh, sure. Um, yeah. Can I maybe have a ride, though? Steve dropped me off this morning."

Before Sloane even processed why the hell she fabricated a story of being a pot-smoker, or even someone who buys drugs, and why she got into Eddie's van in the first place, they arrived at the boy's house. Hopping out of his van, she took in the dark, dimly-lit scene. It wasn't a house on the hills, by any means, rather, a small trailer. The roof was dented in, there was a ripped up couch on the porch, and it was held up by cinderblocks, but it looked cozy - Sloane guessed.

"So uh, welcome to my house on the hills," Eddie said, opening the door and prompting Sloane to enter first. Stepping inside, Sloane looked around for any sign of life. There was fast food trash, beer cans, and cigarettes practically everywhere. Sloane was still not one to judge, though, her parents being occasional smokers themselves. That was the thing about cigarettes, she thought, they were classy when rich people smoked 'em it but trashy when poor people did. In her parents' defense, the stress of the work week was hard on adults, something Sloane was definitely not looking forward too in the next few years. She liked to practice different means of self-care and stress relief, anyways, like cucumbers on her eyes and pink nail polish.

"Please excuse the mess, our maid took off this week. Something about, being really overloaded by the uh, Harrington house, it was?" Eddie smirked.

"Oh yeah, Steve's room!" She joked back, noticing no other sign of life than the pair standing in the living room, she asked, "do you live here by yourself?"

"No, with my uncle, but he works a lot of nights so, yeah. He brings home the big bucks!" Eddie answered, rubbing imaginary money in his fingertips, and Sloane nodded back.