CHAPTER SIX | JESSE'S GIRL

TW: LIGHT SEXUAL CONTENT

CHAPTER SIX
JESSE'S GIRL

"Sooo, this is the castle," Eddie stated sarcastically, walking through the house after Sloane.

"You stay here. Sloane, you stay too for backup. We'll be back!" Robin stated, and before Steve had the chance to say no-way-in-hell, he was being dragged out the door again by his best friend.

Sloane danced her way to the kitchen, making herself her favorite snack: cucumbers, plain. She had liked it for as long as she could remember, and Steve hated when she ate such a snack. He found it unbearable to even watch.

Eddie watched as Sloane carefully sliced the cucumber, becoming alarmingly flustered at her moves. It was a cucumber, for Pete's sake.

Per usual, they started cracking up at something they'd forgotten about. Whether it was sophomore year biology (that Eddie was taking as a senior) or the better side of memories from the night Chrissy went down. They both thought that joking about their reality was helpful in making it less of a reality.

But Sloane knew she was lucky. She knew, deep down, her Harrington name and Princess reputation made it completely unbelievable that she would've been there the night Chrissy was killed. She had rich-privilege, and she knew it. And it destroyed her to know such a thing.

"How are you doing, though?" Sloane blurted after an awkward silence.

Eddie didn't answer right away. In fact, he was thinking very carefully about his answer. He didn't know how he was doing, truthfully. Despite being alone often the past few days, he hadn't let himself think about it. He occupied and distracted his mind with thoughts of, well, his new friend Sloane.

"Good!" He lied, "well, as good as I can be knowing that I'm the most wanted and hated guy in town. I finally gain some popularity and this is how. I mean, I'm more popular than you, Harrington."

It kind of stung, what Eddie said. Sloane's gut wrenched at the hurt in his eyes. What Sloane didn't know, was that he really wasn't angry that Sloane wasn't considered guilty. In fact, he was relieved she was no parts of it. Despite how much he didn't like the Harrington girl at first, he was glad she wasn't in the war zone that he was in. It wasn't a place for a lady. He wouldn't have been able to take it knowing he basically lost two newfound friends - Chrissy physically and Sloane figuratively.

Eddie thought about Chrissy and how they could've been friends. Or that they could've been more, even. And as Sloane stood across the counter, mere inches away from him, she thought the same thing about Eddie.