CHAPTER SIXTEEN | THE DRIVE

CHAPTER SIXTEENTHE DRIVE

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
THE DRIVE

All Sloane could think about was Steve as she jumped through the portal in Eddie's trailer - his real trailer in their own hometown. Her arms were exhausted from she and Dustin having to practically throw Eddie through the red fleshy opening, too weak to pick himself up.

Where the hell were the bats going? Was Steve safe? Robin? Nancy? The thoughts of what could happen ran rampant through her mind as she searched Eddie's trailer for any kind of first aid kit.

An earthquake-like rumble shook the Hawkins trailer, causing pictures to fall off the wall, liquor bottles to shatter on the floor, and dust to fall from the ceiling. Sloane wasn't sure what it was, but she had a gut feeling — a bad one too. Something was telling her to get out of that trailer. The old chime of a grandfather clock seemed to ring in the trio's ears as Sloane guided the boys outside. Tears spilled over the brims of Sloane's eyes, as she knew exactly what this meant.

"Max."

Sloane fell to her knees, half from the pain in her ankle and half from the shocking revelation that they'd lost. Eddie was next to fall to the ground, blood dripping from his abdomen. Sloane ripped open his jacket and lifted his shirt to see the bats had completely destroyed the bulletproof vest, leaving Eddie's abdomen hanging in shreds. She tore off the bandana wrapped around her head and yanked Eddie's off as well, tying them in a knot to create a make-shift tourniquet. Eddie winced as Sloane lifted up his waist, running the bandanas across his bleeding hips. She tied them as tight as she could, despite Eddie's groans in pain and pleads to stop.

Dustin, on the other hand, watched, breath hitching as he saw Eddie's trailer completely cave in, as the fiery red glow of the alternate dimension creeped through. "No, no, no no," he pulled his knees to his chest, not wanting to know what this meant for the group of social outcasts.

"This was what he showed us,"  was all Sloane said as she bit back a tear, holding Eddie's now completely still and lifeless body in her arms.

"He won." 

***

TWO DAYS LATER

"Promise you'll call everyday?" Steve said, setting the last box into the back of Sloane's BMW. "Yep." Sloane popped her lips, trying not to spill the tears that threatened to with every word she spoke.

"Did you go, uh, see her?" Steve asked, brushing his sister's hair behind her ear. Sloane's eyes didn't dare look up from her feet, one know wrapped in a boot from her fractured ankle. Sloane nodded as she finally met her blue - and now bloodshot - eyes with Steve's own. "Please call me as soon as she wakes up." Steve nodded, "if she-"