CHAPTER FIFTEEN | PREDATOR AND PREY

FOR BEST READING EXPERIENCE, PLAY DON'T BLAME ME BY TAYLOR SWIFT! xoo

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
PREDATOR AND PREY

"Okay. I wanna go over it one more time." Nancy knocked her hand on the seats of the van. "We meet Erica at the playground. She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready." Robin rasped, looking to Steve for phase two. "Max baits Vecna. He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three?"

"Me, Sloane, and Eddie will draw the bats away." Eddie put one hand on the Harrington girl's shoulder and the other on Dustin's, giving them a reassuring squeeze. "And four. We go into Vecna's hopefully newly-bat free lair and," Robin waved the small bottle of liquid in the air, "flambé."

"I barely passed Spanish, what does that mean?" Eddie whispered to Sloane, and Sloane smirked. "It's French, and it means light that bitch up." She flicked her hair, adrenaline for the plan pumping through her veins and further driving her egocentric grin.

"Nobody moves on into the next phase until we've all copied. Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it." The rest of the bunch spoke in unison, a particularly grave tone setting over the group. Despite Sloane's cocky outer shell, her gut was telling her to turn and run away while she still had the chance.

The kids ran through the woods, quiet except for the metal and glass of all their weapons clanking as they ran. Steve led the way, careful to check the coast and make sure it was completely clear despite the ink covered sky, making it near impossible to see besides the dim lighting of the flickering street light. Steve ripped open the door to the Munson's trailer, flipping the light on to reveal the sturdy sheet rope they'd make-shifted a few days prior.

"Be careful," Sloane and Dustin spoke in unison, watching as Steve wasted no time in hopping on the rope. He climbed up the rope in record speed, doing a little flip as he landed feet first into the Upside Down. Sloane found a spot beside Nancy to watch the party trick unfold.

"What does he want us to do, applaud?" Robin rolled her eyes as Steve looked at the girls in his own world, smile fading when he got no reaction. Sloane snickered as she agreed with Robin, saying something about what a tool Steve could be. Soon after, Steve pulled a mattress from Eddie's alternate dimension bedroom onto the floor so the rest of the group could land. Disgust was written all over his face as he inhaled the mildew-smell of the mattress from the Upside Down.

One by one the gang fell through, followed by their weapons. Robin screamed just before almost landing on Sloane's bat and Eddie's shield, both covered in nails. Dustin was last but not least, eyes growing wide as Eddie and Steve both grabbed his shirt by the chest, hoisting him up to his feet.