Chapter 48

Draco led me through the crowd, his hand holding mine a little too possessively for my comfort as the sleeves of his jacket hung down over my palms. At least it looked cute over my cocktail dress. He had grabbed a new one out of my closet upstairs, never giving the impression that he had removed his expensive one to begin with.

I think my misery was obvious on my face, even if I tried to push it aside and pretend I was okay with all of this.

His usual group followed us around all night. Crabbe, Goyle, Zabini— none of them seeing any issue with the situation between Draco and I. He was a great actor, apparently. Convincing them I was in good hands and that he wanted me the way I wanted him.

What a lie.

"Would you like to dance, love?" Draco asked me flatly, his eyes traveling towards the dance floor before they moved down towards mine. I pretty much had to give in to anything he requested to make him look good tonight in front of his subordinates, so I nodded my head tiredly before he placed his hand on the small of my back.

"Come on," he nodded his head to the side and shoved me forward slightly. I let out a long sigh as I walked out towards the other couples who actually looked as though they enjoyed their time together.

I placed my hand in his and waited to begin as he positioned his opposite hand around my hip. "Try not to frown so much. You're making it look like you hate me. This is supposed to be our big post-war reunion." He said quietly, moving us in rhythm to the music that echoed through the air.

"Sorry. Just tired." I mumbled, my eyes remaining on his dress shirt in front of me. "Why are you putting on some big act? If you don't like me you don't have to pretend. Plus, I thought everyone knew about your situation." I whispered, my voice hoarse and exhausted.

"Not everyone. Not even sure Crabbe and Goyle know. Blaise, Nott, some of the older guys. Everyone else just thinks I always act this way. Like a cold hearted fuck." He mumbled, squeezing my hand in his and moving his right hand from my hip to my back. "If I don't pretend to tolerate you then I fear someone will try to get you away from me like I'm some danger to you. I don't feel like dealing with it." He shrugged, making me nod my head once. "My parents managed to make their marriage work. We will, too." He groaned. I glanced to the side and saw Blaise looking at me with narrowed eyes.

I flashed him a quick smile, not wanting to create any more problems for Draco than I probably already had to deal with. Blaise's face softened as he saw mine, and he completely bought into what I was trying to sell. He smiled back at me before I quickly turned my head towards Draco's chest again.

"I know it sounds awful, but I really can't stop thinking about what Theodore said." I whispered to Draco honestly. "About you wanting other girls. Mainly because we've been down this road before, and I seriously think it will destroy me this time." I sighed, thinking back on how awful it was the last time. My stomach grew nauseous just from the thought.

"Why would I want any other girl?" He shook his head out of annoyance. "You're my fiancé, are you not? I didn't just spent the last nearly 5 months of my life to build up my entire reputation just to have it brought down because people think I'm untrustworthy and a cheat." He lectured me. "That's how I look at it. I don't have nearly as much respect for the men who find dozens of girls every night, just like I didn't respect the ones who wanted to touch you at my Christmas party a few years back. I just think it's sad. There's more to life than shagging and snogging." He shook his head.

"But you could just obliviate the girls and they'd never even remember. Then no one would even know that you did it." I mumbled. "You're telling me that if Daphne were trying to sleep with you right now, you'd turn her away?" I asked him seriously, finally peaking up at his stubborn face. He looked more annoyed with me now than he previously had.