ep. 14 ~ mistakes and mysteries

jj maybank didn't trust easily. he could get affectionate with people, comfortable even, but he wasn't truly open with them.

this was exactly how it had been with luna b, luna b had been new and exciting and even if she was a little hostile sometimes jj had really thought she was good. that she could be a part of their group. that he could grow to... trust her. one day. maybe.

not now though.

jj didn't know how he felt now, he wasn't sure if he could really classify his emotions. wasn't sure if he deserved to. if his brief friendship with luna b even allowed him to be hurt by her actions.

~~~

(jj's pov)

"i hate to say i told you so but... i told you so. and you doubted your old man.

i suspect at this moment you're filled with guilt and self loathing over our last fight but don't kill your self just yet, kid. i didn't expect to find the merchant either. you were probably right to call me out... wasn't exactly father of the decade. what can i say, kid? i could smell the barn.

and hopefully, we're listening to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. if not, and you find this for less than optimal reason. well... that's what the map is for.

there she is, the wreck of the merchant.

if something happens to me, finish what i started. go for the gold, kid. i love you bird, even if i didn't always act like it.

i'll see you on the other side."

we listen to john b's dad recount the meaning of the map in wrapt silence, each of us leaning in until our shoulders are brushing with every breath we took.

it's a little bit of a punch to the gut, i mean, none of us had even guessed that this could be going on and we were all over here. all the time.

i think that fact took a bit of a toll on john b, what with the way he instantly started to cry, distancing himself from the group too.

but i couldn't help my exclamation, this was kind of incredible after all, "holy shit! he did it!"

"can you ju- can you? please?" kie cuts in before i can continue, hands lanced behind her head and discernible nervous edge to her voice.

"sorry." i mumble quickly, leaving john b's cries the only sound in the château.

pope and i, being known as bad at handling emotions of our own let alone any one else's, leave it up to kie to comfort john b. she wraps her arms around his shoulders and holds him as she cries.

part of me wants to store this away as further evidence that john b should go for it with her but i know she's just being a good friend.

i wonder briefly if luna b's safe. i hope so. she may have lied and i may not like her much right now, but i don't want her in danger out there.

but she left the tape recorder and that's what matters, right?

i absently start fidgeting with said tape recorder, tapping it and moving it about the table. my eyes are fixed on john b and kie, waiting, hoping maybe. i'm not sure.