ep. 1 ~ the first reunion

~~~
Luna Bliss Rush was different, and not in some bullshit "I'm not like other girls" kind of way, her name was different, her life was different and her mind was way different.

Now, whilst this fact made her unique, in a place like Kildare island off the North Coast of Carolina - aka the outer banks - being unique was not viewed as a good thing. See, on Kildare island, there are two 'factions' that split the island almost directly in half: the kooks - rich, largely white folk, who have multiple mansions and earn enough money to fund the rest of the islands pensions, and the pogues - underpaid, family driven folk who work multiple jobs just to put food in their stomachs and keep a roof over their heads.
And they're pretty much pitted against each other, locked in a constant battle of who's right and who's wrong. Who's better?

The answer is probably neither, given that they keep up this inane turf war day after day.

The only real answer would be some strong form of socialism that would probably start with wiping the island and starting afresh. But that's a dilemma for a different day.

Our story starts here: the Kildare Island Private Academy, but everyone calls it the Kook Academy. Everyone but the parents of the kids who go there that is. And it gets it's name from the kids who go there: the kooks (it is a private school after all). And Luna Bliss Rush.

~~~

The final bell cut through Mr. Brent, the art teachers, final words to the class, signalling the end of the day. And, on this particular day, the end of the school year and the start of summer break. The end of my sophomore year; bye-bye tenth grade but, sadly, no goodbye to the Kook Academy for me.

A childish round of cheers goes up around the room, making Mr Brent throw his hands up in the air exasperatedly and shout a halfhearted "have a good summer!" Over the loud conversing of the now free 16 year olds.

As they all stampede out the door and into the corridors I stay put at my easel, intent on finishing this area of the painting before I leave it for the summer. If there was one positive of my half scholarship and my parents actually being able to afford the other half of my tuition to the Kook Academy  it was the art facilities.

Mr Brent waves goodbye before he leaves, just as ready for the summer break, "bye girls, have a good summer."

Hold up- girls?

I have to do a double take, spinning in my chair rather unceremoniously to scan the rest of the classroom. It's then that I notice who the other girl is; Kiara Carrera. The tanned girl is stood at one of the benches at the back of the room, sorting out the abandoned materials into recycling and general rubbish.

She meets my eyes slowly, offering a tiny smile, but makes no other move to interact with me. Fair enough. I dont expect her to, after all she's an actual kook (unlike me) and is still above me even if the rumours of her hanging out with the pogues are true and I've never really spoken to her before. Not since maybe middle school, before... everything. Maybe she was someone else I'd cut off? Either intentionally or unintentionally. But, whether she had been my friend at one point of not she gives no indication and I don't expect one - we don't know each other.

We do however seem to share the same care for the environment and I highly respect her dedication to sorting through the art rooms left overs just so as much as possible is recycled.