30 - Marie | Half a heart-shaped locket

I stomped around heaven for a bit, the scent of freshly baked goods doing nothing to calm my troubled mind. I sighed impatiently and waved my arms, causing a gentle breeze to swirl around me. It carried me down till my feet were planted firmly back on Andrew's front yard.

James stood a few feet away, watching me quizzically. A sudden sense of calm washed over me as I saw him standing there, looking like a lame loser. Maybe it was the fact that I actually had succeeded in thwarting his evil plans.

'Did you get into trouble with God?' he inquired, an irritating smirk making its way onto his annoying face, which was somehow annoying enough to make me forget all about my dispute with Georgie.

'No,' I grumbled, 'I got into trouble with Headmistress.'

'Ah.'

'It was only mild trouble!' I pouted, stomping over to him. 'I ruined your plan anyway. Now Andrew never wants to try any type of narcotics or similar substances.'

'The weed wasn't my idea,' James agreed, 'Personally, I think there are much more interesting and unique pathways to hell.'

'Whatever,' I huffed, 'I'm winning.'

James smirked again, seemingly trying to annoy me on purpose. 'Are you?'

I whacked him on the head with my new cross. 'Maybe this is will whack some holiness into you.'

His eyes widened in shock as his jaw went slack. 'You can't hit someone with a cross.'

'I'm doing it right now, aren't I?' I pointed out, thwacking him again, 'I'll even sing a song while doing it to get my sacred message across.' I cleared my throat. 'Holy, holy, HOlyyy,' I sang, belting out the words in a continuous loop while I whacked him with the cross on each syllable.

'That's not very holy of you,' James mumbled, his confidence from earlier seeming to have disappeared along with his self-satisfied smirk.

'On the contrary, James, it's actually the holiest ever cause I'm singing a hymn of heavenly worship.' I whacked him again and my cross snapped in two.

I gasped in horror, staring down at the broken pieces in my palm. 'This was supposed to help guide me in my decisions!' I cried.

'Well it wasn't doing a very good job now, was it, if you were guided into hitting people?'

'Hitting DEMONS, you're not a person, James,' I wailed, 'Your stupid coconut head broke my holy cross.'

He snorted, and then burst out laughing. Doubling up in merry chuckles as I looked down morosely at my shattered cross.

'You can keep one half,' I said suddenly, slipping the top half in his pocket, 'I've always wanted half a heart-shaped locket that connects to my family. My parent, I guess.'

'Right. Er.' He a looked a bit awkward at my rather unrelated admission. 'I suppose this is... somewhat like that.' 

'It's a broken thing that fits together, isn't it,' I huffed, suddenly embarrassed, 'You don't have to keep it if you don't want to.'

'I'll just have to hide it very carefully,' he joked, distractedly glancing over his shoulder for a moment. 'Well. I guess I'll see you at school tomorrow.'

'Oh, okay,' I replied to his back as he turned and strode away without another glance.

I tucked my connecting half into my jacket pocket and made my way home.