Chapter 26 - Inferno

Rick's POV

"Uncle! Look, I drew it for you," Vittoria interrupted me, running towards me happily while holding a piece of paper in her little hand.

"Really?! Show me, angel." I gave her a warm smile as I picked her up in my arms and looked at her drawing.

***

Once I arrived home, I went to see Vanessa. I was so worried about her. I couldn't get what Mario told me about her state out of my mind.

I tiptoed to the room where Vanessa was staying, and I approached her quietly. She was sleeping, slightly curled up. Mario told me that she refused to eat anything today, and she looked pale.

I bent down in front of her bed and started watching her. Her beautiful face almost was white as a sheet.

I extended my hand towards her face and stroked it tenderly. It was unbearable to stay away from her while she was near to me. I felt irritated because after what she had done to me, I couldn't still get her out of my mind and... heart. I was still in love with this ruthless woman.

Suddenly, she yawned and opened her eyes slowly. I instantly pulled my hand away and straightened quickly. As soon as Vanessa saw me, she pulled back in fear.

"Why didn't you eat anything?" I asked nonchalantly as I rested my hand in my pocket.

"Why do you care?" she asked mockingly as she sat up on the bed.

"I don't care," I replied bitterly.

Vanessa pursed her lips together as sadness crossed her features and she averted her gaze. "Then it isn't your business if I eat or not," she commented hotly.

"If you die from starving in my house, you will ruin my plans," I said dryly.

She turned her head away and wiped a few drops of tears off her cheeks while trying to hide her tears as much as possible. I clenched my fist as seeing her crying made me feel bad.

Get a grip, Riccardo!

Don't forget what she did to you. Don't believe her crocodile tears. You know very well that she is a good actress.

"Do you think I believe your tears again?" I asked mockingly.

She gave me a dirty look, clenching het fists. "I know you think I betrayed you, but I did everything to protect you. And I managed it till Jack found out your messages," she said with teary eyes.

I burst out laughing and rested my hands on my hips. "Of course, he found it himself. You didn't show him the messages to get rid of me. Just admit that you saw me as an obstacle between you and your luxurious life. So you wanted to get rid of me," I snapped angrily.

"Rick!" Vanessa exclaimed, annoyed and stood up. "I just lied to you once when I broke up with you. That day when I was about to run away with you, Jack caught me and threatened me. If I didn't break up with you and marry him, he would kill you. I did everything to protect you. I didn't have another choice. I couldn't let him kill you," she said while tears were running down her cheeks. "Do you think it was easy for me? I chose to die that day instead of you. I had to do it for you."

I smirked, unconvinced and shook my head. "Why are you keeping lying? Do you really think I will believe you? After finding out who I am, you want me back because I am wealthier and more powerful than your husband?! You are unbelievable." I gave her a disgusting look.

"I don't lie to you, and you don't need to worry. I don't want you back. I know you have a girlfriend," she commented bitterly and gave me a sad look.

"Yes, I have. And I love her. She isn't a cheap woman like you," I lied and gave her an insolent look.