Chapter 31 - A beautiful reminder

Rick's POV

"The baby is mine," I mumbled emotionally. "I am going to be a father." I grinned happily and ran my hand through my hair.

"Congratulations, fratello." Mario tapped on my back, giving me a warm smile.

I clenched my fist as I thought that today I was almost going to lose my baby and Vanessa... the love of my life.

"Did you talk to Arturo? Did the men they caught confess who sent them?" I asked between gritted teeth and sat down on the seat, overwhelmed.

"Yes. They confessed that Jack sent them. Arturo took care of them. Everything is under control in the mansion," he informed me. I nodded, clenching my fist. Mario sighed and sat down beside me on the seat. "What are you going to do now?"

"I will make that bastard pay," I replied, determined while trembling with fury.

"I am not talking about Jack. What are you going to do with Vanessa?" he clarified.

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "I will wait till she gives birth."

"Then?" he asked warily.

"I will think about it when the time comes." I breathed deeply, standing up, and rested my hand into my pocket, lost in my thoughts.

"Are you sure she is lying? I think what she said is true; she broke up with you to protect you," Mario commented firmly.

I looked away without saying anything. I didn't know what to think anymore. I felt overwhelmed.

"If you want, I will try to find out something about it," Mario suggested hopefully.

I heaved a loud sigh, running my hand through my hair. "Do what you want." He nodded, excited. "I am going to see Nessa," I informed him and walked away.

***

I walked towards the fountain as I saw Vanessa sitting on the bench next to the fountain, caressing her belly tenderly. It had been a month since the attack. Fortunately, she recovered quickly.

"How are you?" I asked warmly as I approached her.

She jumped, scared. "Oh..."

"Sorry, I didn't want to scare you." I gave her an apologetic look.

She gave me a warm smile. "Don't worry. I was just lost in my thoughts," Vanessa said softly as she stood up carefully, resting her hand on her stomach.

I nodded. "How do you feel? Did you get cramp again?" I asked worriedly.

"We are fine. No, it didn't repeat." She gave me a dazzling smile.

"If you crave for something, tell me. I will send someone to buy," I told her, caressing her cheek gently.

"Thank you." She gave me a mesmerizing smile, leaning her face against my palm. "Umm... I heard Mario talking to Arturo about... Jack."

"Don't worry; he wouldn't dare to repeat what he did. I will take care of it," I assured her.

"Are you sure? He must be furious now; he probably guessed you gave the police the evidences to arrest him," she said worriedly and ruffled her hair, biting her lower lip nervously.

"I am not afraid of him. He has to think about it before sending his dogs to invade my property and..." I gritted my teeth in frustration as I remembered Vanessa lying in my arms unconscious.

"But I am afraid for you. I don't want him to hurt you," she confessed sadly.

"Don't worry. I can take care of myself. He wouldn't dare to do anything to me. I warned his father," I assured her as I cupped her cheeks. "Don't stress yourself. It is bad for the baby. You just take care of yourself and our son. I will take care of everything else," I stated firmly, looking her in the eyes. She nodded, but I could still notice the worry in her eyes. "No one will touch you or the baby again. I promise," I added and pulled her into my arm.