Chapter 25

Mason POV

“Mr. Richardson.” I heard my last name being called as we were leaving Emma’s room.

I turned around to see our gym teacher, Mr. Rodriguez. He was looking at Emma and Hazel lustfully, and I immediately placed myself in front of them. Jax and Chris did the same. His eyes focused on us and he glared.

“It was brought to my attention that you have been sleeping in the girls’ room for the past few nights, Mr. Richardson.” the creep said as he crossed his arms over his chest. “You know the rules. You need to go back to your room.”

I reached behind me, finding Emma’s arm and pulling her toward me. She grabbed the back of my hoodie in a tight grip.

“That won’t happen.” I said sternly. “Emma is my sister, and I am not leaving her alone until that fucker is caught.”

“Language, Mr. Richardson.” the teacher said, frowning.

Why does he want me to leave her? Was Jax right? Is he the fucking kidnapper?

“Is there a better word to describe him, Sir?” I asked, raising my eyebrow.

Mr. Rodriguez took a deep breath and narrowed his eyes at me.

“That is beside the point, Mr. Richardson.” he said coldly. “You can’t sleep in their room. You need to go back to your own.”

Not a fucking chance.

“I told you that wouldn’t happen.” I said, clenching my fists. “I am not leaving my sister alone. Annie was taken from her room. It’s not safe.”

“That was a horrible occurrence, but it won’t happen again.” Mr. Rodriguez sighed. “We’ve increased the security.”

A horrible occurrence? Is this guy for real? Fucker.

“I don’t care.” I said sternly. “I am not leaving her. Feel free to report me to the principal. I will be telling him the same thing.”

“If you will excuse us, Mr. Rodriguez, we need to go pick up my sister.” Jax said as he took Hazel’s hand in his.

I pulled Emma to my side and we started walking away from Mr. Rodriguez.

“I will inform the principal about this, Mr. Richardson!” he yelled after us.

“Please do, Mr. Rodriguez.” I said as I turned to look at him. “It won’t change a thing.”

I turned back around and started walking faster, pulling Emma behind me. I was done talking to the fucker. He was creepy and weird, and I wanted Emma to be as far away from him as possible.

“Will he really report you, Mason?” Emma asked, as she tried to keep up with me.

I slowed down a bit so she wouldn’t have to run.

“I don’t care, Emma.” I said. “I am not leaving you.”

“But what will the principal say?” Emma asked worriedly.

“Don’t worry about that, Em.” Chris said before I could. “Mason will just open his wallet wider and the principal will bring in another bed for him.”

Jax snickered. “Just a bed? He will give him an entire room.”

I sighed and rolled my eyes at my friends. They were right, though. The principal would do anything for money. Thankfully, I had my fair share of it. I inherited it after I turned 18. My grandparents left money for Emma and me, and I could do with it what I wanted. My dad paid for my education, so I never had to spend my inheritance money. But if there was a problem with the principal, I wouldn’t have a problem with digging into my funds.

“The guys are right.” I said. “Don’t worry, Emmy. I will pay him to agree.”

Emma furrowed her eyebrows and bit her bottom lip. I pulled her closer, trying to ease her nervousness.

We walked outside, and I saw Cassie stepping out of the car. Her eyes widened and a huge smile spread across her face as soon as she saw us.

“Jax!” she yelled, running toward her brother.

I remembered each and every time I saw her do that. I remembered the pain I felt, wanting to see and hug my sister, but I never could. Now I can. Now she is back where she belongs. I tightened my arms around Emma, reminding myself that she would never leave me again.

“My little devil!” Jax exclaimed happily as he picked her up and hugged her. “I missed your annoying ass so much.”

“Well, that makes one of us.” Cassie said, making the rest of us chuckle. “I would never miss seeing your ugly face.”

Jax put her back down and frowned. “Maybe you could go back home. The car is not gone.”

Jax pointed at the police car that Cassie had come with. She rolled her eyes and looked around.

“You’re not the only brother I came here to see.” Cassie said as her eyes fell on me.

Emma tensed up, and my heart clenched painfully. I smiled at Cassie as I bent down and kissed the top of Emma’s head. I needed her to know that I was right here and I wouldn’t leave her.

Cassie’s eyes landed on Emma, and she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

“Why does she look like you, Mase?” Cassie asked me, staring at Emma.

“Well, Cass, this is Emma.” I said, smiling. “She is my twin sister.”

Cassie gasped and looked up at me. “Twin?”

I nodded, glancing at Jax.

“You have a sister?” Cassie said, looking back at Emma.

“I do.” I said. “I didn’t tell you before because we were separated.”

“It is so nice to meet you, Cassie.” Emma said, smiling softly. “I’ve heard so much about you.”

Cassie just stared at her until Jax jammed his elbow into her ribs. She looked up at him, and he placed an arm around her shoulders.

“I am sorry, Emma.” Cassie said quietly, looking back at Emma. “I am just surprised.”

“It’s okay.” Emma smiled. “I would be surprised too.”

“Come here, kid.” I said as I moved my arm away from Emma’s shoulders and reached for Cassie. “Your prettier brother needs a hug.”

“Hey.” Jax whined.

Cassie stepped away from him and walked into my arms. I hugged her tightly.

“I’m so glad to see you.” I said.

She smiled up at me and looked at Emma. I could tell that she was still surprised.

“You are very lucky.” Cassie said to Emma. “Mason is great.”

My heart clenched painfully. I wasn’t great. I was a terrible brother to Emma.

“He is.” Emma smiled, looking up at me.

I let Cassie go and reached for Emma. She stepped closer to me and I wrapped my arms around her. I need to be a better brother. I will be a better brother.

“Cassie, this is Hazel.” Jax said, smiling. “She is Emma’s roommate and our friend.”

“Hi.” Cassie smiled.

“Hi, Cassie.” Hazel smiled back. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“So, what are we doing over the weekend?” Cassie asked, looking around. “Where are you taking me?”

“To my dorm room.” Jax sighed, picking up her backpack. “You promised mom you wouldn’t leave my room, you little devil.”

“Oh, right.” Cassie said, smirking. “How could I forget? You will be my personal butler over the weekend, Jaxon. Can I order the food now, or should I order it when we get to the room?”

Jax rolled his eyes, and the rest of us laughed.

“I will enjoy watching her torture him like that.” Chris said, chuckling and shaking his head.

“Maybe there is still a chance for you to leave the island, Cassandra.” Jax said, using her full name, knowing that it would piss her off.

“Stop calling me that, Jackie.” Cassie said angrily, using a nickname she knew would piss him off.

“Cassandra.” Jax said, sticking out his tongue at her.

“Jackie.” Cassie said, slapping his arm.

I sighed. This was going to be a long weekend.