Chapter 58

Mason POV

Emma and I were sitting on a ferryboat. I was holding her hand in mine in a tight grip. I wasn’t planning on letting her hand go anytime soon.

I was staring at the lake, trying to keep my fear and anger under control.

We were half way there, but the boat was moving so fucking slowly and it was driving me crazy. I wanted to get off of this boat as soon as possible.

“Massy?” Emma called me softly.

I turned to look at her.

“Are you mad at me?” she asked me worriedly.

I wasn’t mad at her. I was terrified.

“No, Emma.” I said, raising my other hand and caressing her cheek. “I’m not mad.”

“Are you sure?” she asked, biting her lower lip. “Please, Massy, don’t be mad. I just...”

I interrupted her when I pulled her into a hug.

“I’m not mad, Emmy.” I said, kissing the top of her head. “I’m scared.”

She wrapped her hands around me and hugged me tightly.

“I know.” she mumbled. “I wish I could take it away.”

I knew exactly what she was talking about. I wished I could take away everything bad she ever felt.

I kissed the top of her head again and leaned my head on hers.

My eyes fell on detective Peters, who was standing on the other end of the ferryboat, talking to the cops. His eyebrows were furrowed and he had a serious expression on his face.

I fucking hated him in this moment. If she got hurt because of him again, I would beat the shit out of the fucker.

“I think it’s illegal to stare at the cops like that, Mase.” Chris said.

He was sitting opposite Emma and me, and he had a perfect view of my pissed off face.

Emma looked up at me, and I rolled my eyes at Chris.

“Don’t make me regret bringing you with us.” I said, glaring at Chris.

He chuckled and shook his head.

“I can still change my mind and send you back.” I told him, narrowing my eyes.

“You won’t.” Chris said confidently. “You need me to stop you from going to jail.”

I rolled my eyes at him again. He was an overconfident fucker. I didn’t need him to stop me from going to jail. Emma was enough. I would never do anything that would separate me from her. I wasn’t going to let that happen again.

I looked away from Chris in time to see Peters walking toward us.

“Hi, guys.” he said as he sat down next to Chris. “How are you doing?”

“Fine.”

“Okay.”

“Terrible.”

The three of us said at the same time.

“I know that you are worried, Mason.” Peters sighed, looking at me. “But she will be okay. We will make sure of it.”

“I’ve heard that before.” I said, clenching my fists angrily. “She was so okay that they had to restart her heart.”

Emma wrapped her arms around me and leaned her head on my shoulder.

“It’s different this time, Mason.” Peters said calmly. “He will be restrained. I will be going with her. She won’t be alone with him. He won’t be able to touch her or hurt her.”