Chapter 26

Emma POV

We’ve watched two movies already, and we were taking a little break. I was sitting on Mason’s bed watching Mason, Chris, and Jax laugh at something Cassie was showing them. The four of them were sitting on Jax’s bed, looking down at Cassie’s phone. Hazel was sitting next to me, staring through the window. She was pulling on the sleeve of the hoodie she was wearing, and I could tell that she was lost in thought.

Cassie was really nice. She was funny and energetic, and she kept making me laugh when she bickered with Jax.

And the nickname she gave him was gold. Jackie really suited him.

Mason was right. She was definitely Jax’s little “Minnie me”.

I could see how much Jax loved her, and it made me smile. Despite their constant bickering, they adored each other.

I don’t know if she liked me, though. I could tell that she was still a little surprised with the news of me being Mason’s sister. She kept glancing at me, especially when Mason had his arms around me.

It wasn’t mean or anything, but I could tell that a little part of her wasn’t really glad I was here. She kept pulling Mason away from me, showing him pictures of her and her friends. I didn’t mind. They have a really nice bond, and who am I to come between that? Mason was smiling and enjoying his time with her and his friends, and it made me happy. I was so glad that he wasn’t alone all this time. He had his friends. He had Cassie. He had a dad. He wasn’t alone, and that was the most important thing.

Being alone sucks. Having no one to share your thoughts with sucks. Having no one who cares if you are sick or hurt sucks. Having no one to hold you when you are sick, or tired, or just having a bad day really sucks.

I was so glad that Mason didn’t go through any of that. My heart would break if he was left alone. I don’t know how I would handle it if he was the one who left with mom and if he was the one she abandoned. I couldn’t handle him being hurt. I couldn’t handle him being scared and sad. I am so glad that it was me. I would do it all over again just so he could be happy and safe. He deserved it. He deserved friends and family. He deserved to be happy and safe.

Hazel’s phone rang and pulled me out of my thoughts. It was probably her mom calling.

“Really mom? Again?” Hazel mumbled, standing up and answering her phone.

My heart hurt and I had to stop myself from crying.

Hazel’s mom cared so much that she called her all the time to check on her. She had called her a few times today, even though she knew Hazel was safe. Jax even talked to Hazel’s mom to convince her that Hazel was safe and protected. Her mom still kept calling.

My mom didn’t even know what was going on. She wouldn’t even care if something happened to me. She wouldn’t even care if I was taken. She wouldn’t even know because she wouldn’t answer her phone.

“Where is your mom, Emma?” Cassie’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts. “I know that Mason only has a dad. Where is your mom?”

I looked from Hazel to Cassie, forcing a small smile on my face.

“She is in Europe.” I said. “She is working.”

Cassie nodded, turning back to Mason and continuing her story. Mason kept nodding and smiling at whatever she was telling him. Chris and Jax were listening to her as well, smiling and asking her a bunch of questions. I couldn't focus enough to listen to their conversation.

I’d noticed that Chris kept glancing between Mason and me. He looked worried, and I wondered what was going on inside his head.

Hazel ended the call and came back to sit next to me.

“My mom told me that a bunch of parents are taking their girls home.” Hazel said, putting her phone in the pocket of her hoodie.

“Really?” I asked.

The conversation between Cassie and the guys stopped. They were now listening to Hazel.

“Yes.” Hazel nodded. “Mom told me that the majority of parents are against the principal’s decision to keep the school open. A lot of girls and even some boys are going home. My mom wanted me to go as well, but I refused.”

“Why, Hazel?” I asked, worried. “Maybe it’s not a bad idea. It’s not safe here.”

“It is safe.” Hazel said, glancing at Jax. “We are safe with the guys.”

“What about you, Emma?” Cassie asked me, making me turn to look at her. “Will you leave?”

“No way.”

“No.”

Mason and Chris said at the same time.

Cassie smiled, but I couldn’t help feeling like she wasn’t really happy with the answer. I understood her. Mason was really great with her and she didn’t want to share him. I was hoping she would accept me, though.

“Hazel is right, Em.” Jax said softly. “She is safe with us. You are safe with us. There is nothing to worry about.”

I nodded and gave him a small smile.

“Is Emma “the doll”?” Cassie asked, looking at me as she air-quoted “the doll”.

My friends gasped, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

“How do you know about that, Cass?” Jax asked, surprised.

“I’m thirteen, not five.” Cassie said, rolling her eyes. “I heard mom talk about that guy calling his target “the doll”.”

“Why did you ask if Emma was the doll?” Hazel asked quietly.

“Because she looks like one.” Cassie said. “She looks like one of those porcelain dolls people keep on their shelves.”

Mason stood up immediately. He sat down next to me and pulled me onto his lap.

“She is not “the doll”, Cassie.” Mason said, wrapping his arms around me tightly.

“Why would you even say that?” Jax asked his sister.

“Because she reminded me of one when I saw her.” Cassie said, eyeing me up and down. “Maybe I’m not the only one who thinks that she looks like a porcelain doll.”

Chris looked worried as hell. Mason’s arms tightened around me even more.

“You are freaking Mason out, Cassie.” Jax sighed, placing an arm over her shoulders. “Stop before he gets a heart attack.”

“I am sorry, Mase.” Cassie said, looking worriedly at him.

“It’s okay, kid.” Mason said. “Don’t worry about me. You are right. If she looks like a doll to you, she could look like a doll to someone else as well. You helped me keep her safe. I will have to be even more careful now.”

Cassie’s worried gaze switched from Mason to me. She gave me a small smile. I smiled back before turning to Mason.

I didn’t want him to be even more careful. I didn’t want him to exhaust himself.

“I am going to be okay, Mason.” I said softly. “I am not the target.”

I came here a short while ago. I was sure no one noticed me. Well, the students did, but that was just because of what happened between Mason and me. And something was telling me that whoever was taking these girls was not a student. The first girl disappeared just a week after I came here. There was no way that anyone else could have noticed me in that short period of time and planned something like this.

“We can’t be sure about that.” Chris said nervously. “Especially after what Cassie said."

I looked at Chris. He was clenching his fists and looking at me like he wanted to rip me away from Mason.

Mason kissed my temple just as someone knocked on the door.

Jax stood up and answered the door.

It was Mr. Rodriguez. He looked around the room and smirked as soon as his eyes landed on Mason.

“The principal wants to talk to you, Mr. Richardson.” Mr. Rodriguez said sternly.

My heartbeat picked up. What if Mason gets in trouble because of me?