Chapter 62

Mason POV

We were finally back at school.

I was holding Emma in my arms again. I didn’t want to let her go, especially after what happened earlier.

I was so afraid that something was wrong with her heart. I saw her clutching her chest a couple of times. I needed to call doctor Chase and take her for a check-up as soon as possible.

Jax and Hazel ran out of the building as soon as they saw us.

“What happened?!” Hazel asked, looking at Emma worriedly.

“Chris will let you know.” I said, walking past them and into the building. “Emma needs to rest.”

“Is she okay?” Jax asked, walking next to me.

“She will be.” I said as I started to walk faster.

I didn’t want to talk to anybody right now. I wanted to be alone with Emma. I wanted to make sure that she was okay. I wanted to convince her that she was safe. I wanted to hear her say to me that she knew that I would never let anything happen to her.

Thankfully, the classes were still going, and there weren’t many students in the hallways. I could run to our room without too many disruptions.

“What happened?” I heard Jax ask Chris.

“The man is a fucking piece of shit.” Chris sighed. “Mason and I were watching the conversation...”

I stopped listening and hurried toward our bedroom.

I dug the key out of my pocket and unlocked the door. I opened it, walked inside, and closed and locked the door.

I walked to the bed and sat down.

“We are alone, Emma.” I said softly. “Can you talk to me, please?”

My heart was racing, and I had no fucking idea what I would do if she didn’t talk. I needed her to talk.

She lifted her head and took a deep breath. She didn’t look up at me, though. She was staring at my chest.

“Does your chest hurt?” I asked, my voice trembling. “I saw you clutching it. Does it hurt?”

She looked up at me and shook her head.

“I am fine.” she mumbled quietly. “It doesn’t hurt.”

I was so fucking relieved that she talked. But why did she clutch her chest if it didn’t hurt?

“Are you sure?” I asked. “I think we should call doctor Chase, just in case.”

“No, Mason, I am okay.” she said. “I was just afraid, and I had a feeling like something heavy was sitting on my chest.”

My heart clenched painfully.

“I am so sorry, Emmy.” I said as I caressed her cheek. “I am so fucking sorry.”

She closed her eyes and leaned into my hand.

“Did you hear everything he said?” she asked me quietly, keeping her eyes closed.

I tightened my jaw and a wave of anger washed over me.

“I did.” I said, trying to stay calm.

I wanted to punch the shit out of something.

She opened her eyes and studied my face for a second.

“What is it about me that made him do this?” she asked quietly. “Is it my eyes? Is it my hair? If I changed that, would he leave me alone?”

I gulped and forced myself to stay calm.