Chapter 48

Mason POV

“Okay, Emma.” the doctor smiled as he removed the last wire from Emma’s chest. “Everything looks great. You can go home tomorrow.”

“Thank you, doctor.” Emma smiled.

“Are you sure?” I asked nervously. “Maybe you should do more tests. Maybe she should stay here longer. What if something happens again?”

“Nothing will happen, Mason.” the doctor looked up at me. “Her heart is fine. The drugs are out of her system. She will have to have regular checkups, but there is no need for her to stay in the hospital.”

I clenched my fists and took a deep breath. I kept picturing her having some sort of heart attack and dying in my arms. It was a constant nightmare that I just couldn’t stop from happening.

“I think he is trying to get rid of me, doctor.” Emma said teasingly. “He probably wants some alone time, and he is trying to keep me here.”

I shot her a glare.

“Not this one, Emma.” doctor Chase laughed and shook his head. “I am starting to think that you are Siamese twins. I can’t separate him from you.”

Emma laughed, and I rolled my eyes at them.

As if I would let him or anyone else separate me from her.

“Okay, kids.” the doctor said. “I’ll leave you two alone. I will prepare your discharge papers and you will be free to go in the morning.”

“Thank you.” Emma said and smiled.

Doctor Chase gave me a small smile and left the room.

I walked over to Emma’s bed and tucked her in. The nervousness must have been clear on my face, because Emma stopped me and pulled me to sit next to her.

“What’s wrong?” she asked softly.

“I am scared.” I sighed as I ran my hand through my hair. “What if you have another attack and I don’t know what to do and you die?”

“I am fine, Massy.” Emma smiled. “My heart is healthy. The drugs are out of my system.”

“I know.” I mumbled. “But I am still scared. I keep picturing it and I can’t get it out of my mind.”

Emma wrapped her arms around me and kissed my temple. I pulled her closer to me.

“I am healthy, Mason.” she said softly. “I won’t leave you.”

My heart was hammering in my chest, but I tried to focus on what she had said. She is healthy. She won’t leave me.

“Doctor Chase wouldn’t let me go if my heart wasn’t okay.” she added, rubbing my back soothingly.

She was right. The doctors wouldn’t let her leave if she wasn’t okay. I was having a hard time believing it, though. The fear of something happening to her again was making it hard for me to breathe.

I needed a distraction, so I decided to talk to her about our parents. I didn’t want them here, but I knew that it was her decision. I couldn’t take that away from her.

I refused to let anyone see her or visit her. Well, except my father by accident and Chris that one time. It was time to deal with our parents, though. My father wanted to see her, and as much as I was against it, I needed to let her decide. I also needed to meet with Patricia and demand Emma’s money back. It was Emma’s decision if she wanted to be present when I talked to our mother.

“There is something I need to tell you, Emmy.” I said as I let her go.

“Okay.” she said with a small smile.

I took a deep breath and took her hand in mine. I was hoping she wouldn’t be mad at me for not telling her sooner. I just wanted her to be better before I told her. If one of our parents was the reason for another heart attack, I would definitely kill them.

“Our parents are here.” I said, studying her face for a reaction.

She was shocked and confused. I could tell that she was having trouble coming up with something to say.

“The principal called them the day you ended up here.” I continued. “They both came. Our mom’s new husband came as well. They want to see you.”

She was staring at me, and I wasn’t even sure if she blinked once.

“Emma?” I called her softly, trying to hide the fear in my voice.

I reached out and felt her pulse. Her heart was beating. She was breathing normally.

“I am fine, Mason.” she finally spoke. “I am just surprised. My mom is here?”

“Yes.” I nodded, tightening my grip on her hand.

“My mom?” she asked, suspiciously. “Patricia Richardson?”

“Yes.” I nodded again.

“And dad?” she asked again.

I nodded for the third time.

“They want to see me?” she asked quietly.

“They do.” I said. “I didn’t allow them to see you that day. If it was up to me, they would never see you again. But I know this can’t be my decision. It needs to be yours. I will have to see our mother, though.”

“Why?” she asked and furrowed her eyebrows.

“I am going to demand your money back.” I said. “That was your inheritance, and I am pretty sure that the bitch has been spending it in Europe.”

Emma’s eyes widened. “You really think so?”

“I can’t be sure.” I shrugged. “I have a hunch, though.”

Emma bit her bottom lip, and I could tell that she was in deep thought. I ran my hand through her hair, trying to relax her.

“I don’t need that money, Mason.” she said quietly.

My eyes widened. Was she serious?!

“You deserve that money, Emma!” I exclaimed. “Our grandparents left it to you, not her. You deserve to do what you want with it. Besides, you will need it.”

“For what?” she asked quietly.

“Our apartment.” I said. “After we are done with school, we are moving in together. I am not going back to our father, and I am not letting you go back to her. She will never hurt you again.”

Emma’s eyes widened. She stared at me like I’d grown two heads.

“What?” I asked, caressing her cheek gently.

“You would really do that?” she asked in disbelief.

“Are you kidding me?” I sighed. “Of course. I’ve spent enough time away from you. We are going to the same college, and we are living together until you are 40 and allowed to have a boyfriend.”

Emma laughed, but I saw a few tears drop on her cheeks. I panicked immediately.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, grabbing her face with my hands.

“I am happy, that’s all.” she said softly. “I thought that I would have to go back to her.”

“No fucking way.” I said as I pulled her to me. “She will never hurt you again.”

“Thank you, Massy.” she whispered, burying her head in my neck. “I don’t know what I would do without you. You saved me. You saved my life. I love you so much.”

My heart broke in my chest and I almost sobbed. If I wasn’t a stubborn idiot, she would never need saving. If I hadn’t cut her out of my life, that bitch would have never been able to hurt her.

“I love you too, Emmy.” I said, kissing the top of her head. “More than anything in this world.”

I did love her more than anything else. She was my best friend. She was the only one who would even forgive me for being such an idiot.

“What about our parents then?” I asked as I let her go. “Do you want to see them?”

Emma bit her lip and furrowed her eyebrows. She was silent for a few moments.

“Would you be mad if I said yes?” she asked quietly. “I don’t want to regret not talking to them one day.”

“Of course I’m not mad.” I said, running my hand through her hair. “But there is one condition, though.”

“What condition?” she asked.

“I am not leaving you alone with them.” I said sternly. “I will be here the whole time.”

“Of course.” Emma nodded. “I was going to ask you not to leave anyway. I don’t want to be alone with them.”

“Should I call them now?” I asked, pulling the phone out of my pocket.

I only had my father’s number. I was going to tell him to find Patricia and bring her here.

“Yes.” Emma nodded.

I gave her a small smile before I found my father’s number and pressed dial.