SEVENTEEN

Since the incident in the gym, things were tense. You didn't even have the stomach to look him in the eye, and you kept your conversations short.

You could tell Dabi was starting to get pissed by your sudden change of behavior, but you couldn't help it. You didn't mean for things to go this far. You didn't want any of this, you didn't want the publicity or the love or the affection that this new life had given you.

________

You kept your eyes down as you set Dabi's dinner in front of him. Just as you turned to walk away, Dabi grabbed the back of your skirt and yanked you towards him.

"Do you need something?" You said.

"Stop avoiding me, _____," Dabi said.

"I'm not," you said.

"Then look me in the eye," he said.

You kept your eyes glued to the ground. Dabi stood from his seat and spun you around. Then, he grabbed your chin and forced you to look up at him.

"What's the problem?" He said.

"What do you mean, Master Dabi?" You said in your professional tone.

"You've been avoiding me, you won't look me in the eye, hell you barely fucking talk to me anymore. What's your problem."

"There is no problem, sir," you spat. "I'm just doing my job."

Dabi seemed taken aback by your cold tone. You've never spoken to him in this way. He's only ever heard that cold tone twice, and it was never directed at him.

"I don't get you," he said. "You're this fucking mysterious person that won't even tell me her damn last name. You just show up at my doorstep looking to be my damn maid. Then, you fucking treat me nice, turn down Shigaraki multiple times for me, just to what? Hate me because I asked you what you thought about marrying me?"

Your body stiffened.

"So, what? You're so fucking repulsed at the thought of marrying someone like me-"

"That's not it at all," you said.

"Then what the fuck is the problem?!" Dabi exclaimed. "Why couldn't you have taken that shit like a joke like normal!"

"I-" You paused. "I don't tell anyone anything about me-"

"Why?"

"Just because," You said. "Now, can you let me go?"

"No," Dabi said. "God, I fucking hate this! I hate how I fell for you when you're a complete stranger to me!"

Your entire body stiffened. You physically felt your heart drop.

"Why won't you say anything?" Dabi said. You finally looked into his blue eyes. After everything he's been through, you weren't surprised that he clung to you so quickly. You just thought he was lonely, or just craved the affection he's never received before, but to actually love you...

"I don't deserve it," you said.

"What?" Dabi said.

"I don't deserve it," you said. "Your love. That's why I've been avoiding you. I'm not a good person, Toya. You deserve better."

"I deserve you," Dabi said. "I think about you constantly, like all fucking day long. I'm at peace when you're by my side."

"I'm not the person you think I am," you said. "Don't- Don't say these things when-"

"What? You think you're this awful person because you're the one that's been killing those people?! I'm not sure if you've heard, but I've killed people too! That doesn't affect how I feel about you."

"How did you know that?" You practically snapped at him.

"That doesn't matter." Dabi grabbed your hands. "I love you, even knowing that you killed those people. I just want to know the real you and be with you, _____."

You sighed and held his hands. "I don't open up easily."

"Obviously," he scoffed. "I guess, that's just part of the adventure of loving you."

"I still won't marry you," you said. "Not now, maybe someday, when I'm finally worthy of you."

"I'll wait as long as it takes," Dabi said. "As long as you're by my side, I'll be happy."

"Alright," you muttered.

"So, you love me too?" Dabi smirked.

"What do you think?" You smiled.