Chapter 14

"We need client screenings," Jennie grumbled, glaring across the field at where the four young women were fawning over Lisa as she unloaded their humongous suitcases from Will's minivan.

"What's wrong with the clients?" Channing asked, tugging on her boots.

"Look at them. They're like fish at feeding time. Especially the one who booked it, Misty," Jennie replied, her eyes narrowed at the lingering arm touch that Misty gave Lisa.

Channing snorted and slung her arm over her sister's shoulders. "They're probably just making sure Lisa doesn't drop any of their bags."

Jennie might have agreed, she might have listened to reason. And then one of the women purposefully slipped on the grass and fell back into Lisa, causing the later to catch her with an arm around the waist.

"We're kicking them out," Jennie managed between clenched teeth.

"What happened to dealing with the assholes before we make it big?" Channing teased.

"They're woman-handling my girlfriend," Jennie scoffed, looking over at her sister.

"It's Lisa. She's only got eyes for you," Channing replied softly.

"Oh, I'm not worried about her. But there are four of them... and they all seem very interested," Jennie grumbled.

"You talking about the people eye-fucking Lisa?" Mikel asked, poking his head out of the front door.

Jennie let out a huff and stormed off the porch and to the Mule, peeling out of the driveway and toward the barn.

"Hospitality!" Channing called after her.

Jennie held her hand out the side of the mule and flipped Channing off.

"We should get the complimentary coffee and muffins ready," Mikel chuckled before stepping back into the house.

"So... does this strap get nice and tight?" Misty asked, batting her lashes as she looked over at Lisa.

"Uh... that's a girth, so yeah," Lisa answered as she moved around the two horses she was tacking up for the guests. "It keeps the saddle in place."

"Better to be tight, right? That way you can get down to business?" Misty continued, laying it on thick while her friends giggled nearby.

"Yeah, I guess so," Lisa replied, turning her baseball cap backward as she lifted a saddle onto one of the horse's backs.

"Do you like to get down to business?"

Lisa rolled her eyes at the question since her face was hidden behind the horse. "I like horseback riding if that's what you're asking me. Trail riding on the property is pretty nice."

"What about... other business? Where the straps get nice and tight?" Misty giggled, leaning against the saddle and looking over the back of the horse at her.

Lisa suddenly wished she had a flare gun or just her cell phone, something she could send out an SOS with. But her phone was in the tack room, and she'd been down at the barn with the guests for forty minutes without seeing anyone else.

"Rock climbing is cool too, I guess," Lisa said, trying to swerve the question.

Misty walked around to the front of the horse and joined her where she was starting to put the bridle on the horse.

"Do you live on the property?" Misty wondered with a smile that was too big.

"Yes, ma'am," Lisa nodded, focusing on the noseband and not on the woman in front of her.