Chapter 3

Hello Finn," she replied. The last time she had seen this man, she had just been told Jayden was cheating on her. He had told her then followed her to rub it in her face. But, he was still undeniably sexy as sin. His broad shoulders filled out the suit he was wearing nicely. His dark hair was longer than when Charlie had left, but it still looked soft.

"You know Aunt Charlie?" Amanda asked, drawing attention to her little frame.

Finn bent down to be eye level with Amanda, "Aunt Charlie and I used to know each other before she left to go to school." He explained. Amanda nodded, moving her head up and down.

"Here you go," Daisy said, holding out Amanda's ice cream. Amanda quickly grabbed the cone and happily began eating the treat. Amanda led Finn over to the table Charlie was at and they all sat down.

"Been a while since I've seen you," Finn said, breaking the awkward silence.

"Yep," Charlie said, letting out an awkward laugh, "been seven years. How have you been?"

"Good, graduated from law school," Finn said, "what about you?"

"Um, I graduated from police school and now I'm working for my uncle," Charlie said.

"Are you on Courtney's case?"

Charlie sighed, "I don't know. I would like to be."

"I'm Jayden's lawyer. I just came here for Amanda," Finn said.

"I can look after Amanda," Charlie said, "I'm sure you have a lot of work to do."

Finn shrugged, "It's fine, I never miss an opportunity to hang out with my niece." Charlie felt a stab to her heart. She hadn't known Amanda existed until just minutes before.

"Have you heard anything?" Charlie asked.

Finn shrugged, "you'll have to ask your uncle. Do you know where Courtney is?" Charlie looked away, she couldn't meet his eyes.

"I haven't talked to Courtney or Jayden since I left," she whispered.

Out of the corner of her eye, Charlie could see Finn nod, "do you think Jayden kidnapped Courtney?"

Charlie shrugged, "I don't know. It's been a long time since I've seen or talked to either one of them."

"But you knew them before you left," Finn said, "people don't change that much."

"I beg to differ," Charlie scoffed, "when I left, Jayden was a cheating and lying snake. Now he has a wife and a little girl." She gave Finn a pointed look. He sighed.

"I get it," he said, holding his hands up in surrender. Amanda tugged on Charlie's sleeve and she looked down at the girl. Pink ice cream was smeared all over her face and somehow, she even had it in her hair.

"All done!" Amanda said cheerfully.

Finn laughed while Charlie's jaw dropped, "it's been less than ten minutes!" She exclaimed, "let's get you home. You need to be cleaned up."

"Bad idea," Finn cut in, "the police are still there."

"Well, I need clothing for her and a car seat. With Courtney missing and Jayden in custody, she needs someone to look after her," Charlie said.

"And you'll do that?" Finn asked.

"I don't know," Charlie shrugged, "but I know I can help." Charlie stood, picking up Amanda, "let's go get you cleaned." They walked outside, Finn following behind them. Charlie headed to the Honda while Finn headed to a sleek gray sports car.

"I assume you are staying at your uncle's house," Finn called, Charlie nodded, "I'll come visit Amanda later today."

"Okay," Charlie said, holding the girl tightly as she carefully pulled out of the parking lot. Amanda sat and played with Charlie's hair as they pulled to the house. Police cars still sat outside and the door was wide open. "Come on, let's get you a bag to use." Charlie walked with Amanda towards the house.