Chapter 5

Charlie took a moment to gather her bearing before she greeted Jayden. "Hey, its been a while," she said.

"Ya." Jayden said. He glanced at Finn. "I need your help. With Courtney missing and I being the main suspect, I won't be able to investigate to find her. Finn can only do so much. And then there's Amanda." Charlie invited the two men in, not wanting to have this conversation at the door. They all took seats in the living room.

"I'm already taking care of Amanda. She'll stay with me until you find Courtney." Charlie said. "I can't help much with the investigation. With helping out with Amanda and this being my twin sister, I don't think I'll be allowed much info."

Jayden nodded. "I'll try to help search for in anyway, but Finn might need help getting into places. Although you won't be on the case, could you help him get into some places? Interview some people?" Jayden was pleading with Charlie to help him.

"Depends who," Charlie said. She didn't trust Finn to go in without an idea of who she'd be interviewing.

"Jayden's coworker. Anne Smith." Finn said. "Maybe some locals." He shrugged carelessly. Charlie nodded.

"Okay, I'm in." Charlie said. Robert had left her badge in her room, having already gotten everything ready for her arrival at the station. Charlie already had it strapped to her jeans.

"Daddy!" Amanda yelled. She ran into the room and launched herself into her fathers arms. Jayden smiled and embraced his daughter.

"I missed you, princess," Jayden said.

Amanda smiled, "Aunt Charlie took me for ice cream! And she said I get to stay in mommy's old room!" Amanda babbled on excitedly about the days events.

"I would like to interview Anne Smith as soon as possible. With Jayden being out, I believe that we should take advantage of it." Finn said.

Charlie nodded, "I'll ask Don to stay with Jayden and Amanda. I have no doubt that if there is anything found, the police will be here in moments. Having Don here to take care of Amanda might be a good idea." Finn nodded in agreement.

He told Jayden of their plans while Charlie stood to speak with Don. "Are you sure you want to get involved?" Don asked.

"I need to find Courtney," Charlie said. She didn't elaborate.

Don nodded. "Okay, call me if you need anything."

Charlie thanked Don and headed back to the living room. "Don is in his room should the police need you or you have to go do something. I suggest not parading around town. Actions while out on bail can reflect on your case."

Jayden nodded. "Can I talk with Charlie for a moment?" He asked Finn. Finn stood and took Amanda with him as they stepped out onto the front porch. "Do you know where Courtney might be?"

Charlie shook her head. She felt ashamed that she didn't have the slightest clue on where her sister was. "No, but I'm sure I can help find her."

"She tried to contact you. When she was pregnant. Postpartum hit her after Amanda's birth. She wanted to fly to San Francisco and beg for you to forgive her. She was so happy when she found out you were coming back. She knew you would probably still hold a grudge, but she was insisting that she would do anything to have her twin back." Jayden said.

In all honesty, Charlie didn't hate her sister. She doesn't hate Jayden either. Sure, Jayden cheated on her with her twin, but she never truly loved Jayden. From the letters and everything she's heard about the couple, she knew Courtney loved him more than she ever could. If anything, she felt ashamed.

She had held the grudge for so long and now, she might not get the chance to talk with her twin. So much time was lost. "I don't hate her," Charlie whispered out. She shook her head. "I guess I just was avoiding her because I knew that once I saw her, I would realize how stupid I was."

"But it wasn't stupid. Whether our relationship would go anywhere or not, I should've broken up with you before getting into a relationship with Courtney." Jayden said, "I am sorry for that."

Charlie shrugged carelessly. "I really don't care about it now. I can tell you two love each other. Even if you don't, I know you aren't a bad person. I'm just glad she was happy."

Jayden nodded, "so, are we forgiven?"

Charlie laughed and nodded. "You're forgiven." Jayden smiled too. "Now, I should go out and help find your wife." Charlie was teasing Jayden, hoping to lighten the mode. The next few days would be tortuous for Jayden.

Jayden's smirk grew bigger. "I hope you know she left the spot of Maid of Honor open for you. She knew you wouldn't be happy about the marriage, but she wouldn't give up your spot." Charlie felt emotion rise within her. She had to talk to Courtney. She needed to find her more now than ever.

"I'm glad I got to talk with you," Charlie said honestly. She felt lighter. There was no hard feelings between them and now they would be able to go on with their lives once Courtney was found.

The two walked outside. Amanda was on the steps next to Finn as she talked about a Disney princess movie. "Ready to go?" Finn asked, looking between the two.

"Yep, let's go interview some suspects," Charlie said, following Finn to his car. Finn rolled his eyes playfully before climbing into the car.

They had to head to Amarillo which was just over an hour away. Jayden worked as a car salesman at the local car dealership. "So, Anne Smith, what do I need to know about her?" Charlie asked. Finn reached into the backseat and grabbed a folder. He handed it to Charlie.

"That's all the information I have," he said. Charlie flipped open the folder and began reading.