Chapter 10: He's Not That Bad.

E M B E R

I absentmindedly follow Fiona.

I have been working since five, as usual. I have been rolling my eyes and groaning as I listen to Rayne and my thumping heart whenever I catch a glimpse of him. I have been wondering why I am even doing this and how my powers are not healed yet.

I'm losing patience. The sole reason that makes me come up with some rules.

Be as helpful as I can, stay out of his way... and leave as soon as possible.

Rayne whimpers at the last part, and I scoff.

Seriously, get over it! You have only met that guy recently. You can't be falling head over heels for him, even if he is the mate Moon Goddess chose for us.

Ember, why are you so heartless? I have fallen head over heels for Sebastian.

Ugh, shut your feelings then.

Rayne narrows her eyes and growls.

I roll my eyes.

Don't forget that we have a pack to lead, that very pack our parents sacrificed their lives for. We can't let a guy get in between that sacrifice. Rayne sadly howls and pouts when someone outside my head calls out, "Oh, I forgot to tell you one thing."

I raise my gaze as I watch Fiona halt and look over her shoulder at me. I step up and nod curiously. She takes a deep breath and states, "You will be serving Alpha from now on."

Huh?

I stare at the head housekeeper in disbelief and confusion. "Pardon?"

Fiona notices and then sighs, "Take good care of him because you are the only one who can—"

We're the only ones... Rayne dreamily beams, which makes me roll my eyes before I blink and look back at Fiona, raising my eyebrow, "I don't understand. Take care of who?"

"Ugh!" Fiona groans and turns to me. "Don't you listen." she rudely points at her ear and gives me a disdainful look. She shakes her head and huffs, "You got to be more attentive, Emmy. Alpha isn't kind to people who are lazy and absentminded."

"Alpha?" I cough up, "Sebastian?" his name rolls off my tongue so smoothly, and I swear my heart skips a beat.

Fiona coughs up and glares at me as she grunts, "Yes, you will be his personal maid."

"Why?" I blurt out, but she doesn't deem fit to answer me as she turns back and resumes walking away. I watch her go and wonder what's wrong with her. I clench my fist and grit. How can she assign me as somebody's personal maid? Can they really do that?

Fiona brings me back to reality as she looks over and clicks her tongue, "Go on now. You have to be by his side now. Make sure you serve him right and clean his study thoroughly. He spends most of the time there."

Rayne grins, and my heart flutters at the words Fiona used while I nod and fake a smile.

"Okay," I mumble.

I descend the stairs and walk toward the study, trying to pretend this innocent human girl is in awe of this mansion until I clash with something or — into someone. I gasp, and I'm immediately able to plant my feet on the ground to keep my balance when he snaps, "What the hell! Can't you see? Are you blind... oh, it's you!"

I blink and look up to find a familiar Asian dude with a disgusted scowl at me. I also notice that he is with a couple of guys when he snarls, "You really have a knack for ruining moods."