Chapter 18: The Truth.

E M B E R 

We didn't waste a single moment and drove back to his house. The tension in the car was palpable. He looked calm and composed, but I could tell how anxious he was now. I mean, his best friend got attacked. No matter how hard he tried to stay calm, his tense jaw and every time he pressed my hand told me otherwise.

And Flora how could this be? Who the fuck attacked them? I could feel the anger bubbling up inside me. If I find the person responsible, I'm going to kill them. 

The car stops, and I turn to reality to join the crowd, making it impossible to go further. He lets go of my hand, and I don't mind because the minute he does, we both jump out of the car and rush out. There are anxious and angry cries and murmurs around me when Sebastian takes my hand. I raise my gaze, but it doesn't stop him from steadily leading me through the crowd until we reach the front of his house. 

I notice a blond girl crouching and quivering when he blurts out, "Ivory!" 

I'm a step behind as I watch her leap into her cousin's arm and hide away. "It's okay," Sebastian murmurs and then looks around, looking for someone not high on emotions to satisfy his curiosity. 

That's when one of the warriors I have seen training earlier comes forward. "Alpha!" 

Sebastian looks at his warrior and nods to continue.  

"After having drinks with us, the Beta came out for fresh air. And then there was a scream" Ivory takes the cue and lets him go only to notice me and interrupts the narration with a loud cry, "Ember!" 

I can feel everyone's eyes on me when Ivory lunges at me with a bone-crushing hug. I gasp, but I hold her as she begins to sob. "It's all my fault. It's all because of me." 

I frown and lock eyes with Sebastian before I look back and ask, "What do you mean, Ivory?" She stutters, "I wanted to take a midnight stroll. Flora didn't want to but agreed because of me. We were walking by when there was this hooded figure in the woods. We tried to fight, but he reached Flora first. And then Clayton intervened and got injured." She trembles in my arms, and her sobs become deafening.

I stay mum and comfort her with a head caress and pat on the back when Sebastian clears his throat and asks his warrior, "Anything else?" 

I look up. 

"Yes, the other person who got injured is a representative of Crimson Shadow." 

Flora. 

My heart aches. 

But I hear everyone gasp around me. 

Sebastian looks confused. "That's weird. They don't usually come and mingle with others." 

"This time seemed to be nothing extraordinary, Alpha, but then we found out that the other person has a mate belonging to our pack." the warriors inform him. 

I see them glancing at an inconsolable Ivory. 

Sebastian understandingly runs a hand through his hair and sighs, "Okay!" he then turns to me and says, "Ember," my heart skips a beat, and I blink at him. Our eyes meet. He already looks tired. "Would you mind taking her to her room? I must go and check on Clayton." 

I fold my lips and nod in response when he looks away, "Are the healers doing their job? Tell them not to let anything happen to the Beta." 

"Yes, Alpha!" 

He nods and begins to walk away. Then, I take a look at Ivory and squeeze her arm as I breathe out, "Let's go" that's when there is a voice, and it calls my name out, "Ember!"