Chapter 14: Kiss Me, Then.

S E B A S T I A N

Where did our mate go? 

How will she disappear? 

Where did she go?

Duke is already in a full-on panicky mode which is not of any help. 

The moonlight shines down the beaten-down path I am walking on, and the wind is crisp and smells of fresh pines. The leaves crunch under my feet with each step I take, grass and weed sliding against my pant legs, and I try to make my breathing as normal as ever despite my wolf being hysterical. 

I shake my head and sigh as I stop to look at the wildflowers— which strangely and aptly remind me of Emmy, mysterious, intriguing, and so goddamn beautiful. That arrogant and foolish yet brave human who is truly a fresh breath of air in my mundane life of bloodlust and savagery. I never thought of letting someone in, and now I have a mate, I think I can. 

Right? 

Duke howls happily for a moment which makes me bring back to reality. I roll my eyes and look away, rubbing the back of my neck. Ugh, where did you go? I straighten up and resume my steps as I wonder if I treat her the way she should have from the beginning, will she accept me? Will she let me in? Will she love me? 

I shake my head to get these thoughts out of my head, but that's when I feel something eerie in my bones and halt in my track. Since it's already dark, minus the moonlight and starlight peeking through the trees, I squint my eyes and scan the place as I inhale the air, which now reeks of a metallic stench that I could taste in the back of my throat.  

I then hear a whimper. 

A helpless whimper. 

My frown deepens, and I peer through from where I am, only to be left startled by the lifeless bodies lying and blood splattered everywhere. What the hell! What the fuck happened on my fucking territory? Who dared to do this? I step closer to investigate when from the corner of my eyes, I catch a glimpse of something big and white and beaming light but tainted with red. 

It's a fucking white wolf. 

Rarest of rare in our community. 

What is this one doing here in my territory? I witness it pin another dirty grey wolf and bite the neck. Then, stepping off the whimpering she-wolf, the white wolf stays still. 

I find it strangely calming to watch the wolf take a break when Duke excitedly howls, Mate! 

What!? 

Completely stunned, I break the eerie silence as a twig snaps under my pressure. It alarms the wolf, and it immediately looks up to lock those fierce blazing red eyes with mine.

This can't—this can't be possible. 

Emmy is the rare white wolf of our generation!!!

However, before I can react to this new piece of information or to the guilt flashing in those eyes of hers, I hear a grunt of pain, and I reluctantly take my eyes off her, only to look over her to see another greyish brown rogue wolf glaring and snarling at her back. 

Preparing his frail, injured body to attack her, which doesn't fit well with me as a grim look appears and the moment he growls and lunges toward her when like the wind, I come between them and hold him by his furry throat. One look at me—I sense him tremble out of fear, and his eyes are shaky and watery. 

I smirk with pride until I look over and lock eyes with her. My grip tightens around the rogue's neck, and I apply way more force to have a snapping sound echoing in the woods, but I do not letting go of her intense gaze devoid of emotion.