Chapter 22: To Be Your Luna?

E M B E R

I glance at the door and breathe a sigh of relief.

The coast is clear. Thank goodness!

I slip out of my room and head down the stairs to the kitchen. Stealthily. I seriously need some space from the constant fussing, at least for a while. And you might be curious why.

Because ever since I came back from my supposed death, I was confined to bed rest. I had no freedom to move as I pleased. I couldn't do my usual exercises, and everyone around me treated me like a fragile doll.

So, yeah, the past five days were more agonizing than the actual fight with Graham.

They would panic at the slightest sound of a sneeze.

And then there is Sebastian.

He is so persistent and as stubborn as I am, like a reflection of myself. Like a constant presence hovering around me, ensuring I have everything I need, from food and rest to comfort and support. He watches over me like a loyal hound or assigns his knights to guard me when he gets busy, just in case I try to exert myself physically

I let out a groan under my breath. 

They shadow me everywhere, even in the bathroom.

Rayne seems to enjoy this attention, and while I would normally find it irritating, it's oddly comforting. Like, I do not mind it. In fact, I love being babied by him. It feels wonderful to wake up every morning to a fresh flower on the nightstand with a handwritten note, when he unexpectedly makes me a tasty Thai curry chicken for dinner, or when we snuggle and chat until we fall asleep or watch a movie together.

It's nice to feel like a regular girl for once instead of being the pack leader.

But still... I need a break.

I long for a breath of fresh air, a moment of escape from right now.

With that being said, I exhale sharply and tiptoe towards the door. Let me slip away for a moment, please... but before I can reach it, I feel a sudden grip around my waist. 

I squeeze my eyes shut and moan in frustration, ignoring the flutter in my stomach. 

Damn it.

"Where do you think you're going, sweetheart?" he breathes in my ear, his warm breath sending tingles down my spine.

I feel a rush of excitement, and a smug smile curves my lips as I press against him. "Out," I reply curtly, but he spins me around to face him. I gasp as he pulls me close. His eyes bore into mine, and his fingers traced my waist with tender strokes, making me shiver. Like I'm burning with desire. 

I tremble, unable to tear my gaze away from his when he lowers his head, and our breaths mingle, creating a harmony that echoes in our hearts. 

"No, I can't let you go," he breathes softly. I snap out of my trance and stare at Sebastian, his green eyes piercing mine. "What?" I ask, confused and annoyed. "What do you mean you can't?" I arch an eyebrow and scowl, "I have to go out. I need to go out, Sebastian. I'm bored of this place..." I trail off and watch him take his time to answer, feeling more restless and irritated by the second. 

He doesn't say anything, just holds me tighter, as if afraid to lose me. 

But it feels like an eternity. I pull away from his grip and fold my arms, huffing in frustration. "What's the problem? I'm sick of staying in this room. I want to breathe fresh air. I want to do my workout regimen. I want to go out..." "You can't go by yourself," he cuts me off, and I can't help but stare at him in disbelief.