12: To Be Known. The End

No I don't own Merlin or the characters. Also sorry for the hiatus, life got crazy, but I'm determined to finish this story! I hope you all enjoyed it, and maybe eventually I'll add lite one shot stories of things that happen later, but for now this is it!

"Me?" I ask shakily, leaning against the cot for more support now. This is it. I should have realized, just because Arthur seemed to forgive me didn't mean he'd overrule his father's old laws.
"What, is there some other warlock named Merlin around here I should know about? Yes YOU Merlin." Arthur rolls his eyes, and Gwaine moves back to put a hand on my shoulder supportively.
"Listen princess, you know I'm loyal to you, but Merlin's been my friend longer than I've been your knight. Don't do anything more stupid than you normally do," he warns the king, his tone trying to sound friendly despite the threat in his words.
"Hey, it's okay, I'll be alright. I'd like to talk to him," I say as I force my smile back up. I lightly push Gwain away and glance towards Gaius, and he quickly gets the message as he moves over to my very worried mentor. The two of them give brief bows, looking at both of us with furrowed brows and anxious smiles as they leave. Arthur walks over and stands over the cot I'm sitting on, looking around as if forgetting for a moment that I'm there.
"Arthur?" I ask after a couple minutes of silence. He finally looks at me, snapping out of his thoughts. "I understand. Really, I do. I never wanted to put you in this position, I promise, I hoped you wouldn't ever have to decide...but...well...here we are. So, I know I may not deserve a request, but can I make one anyway?" On Arthur giving me a confused nod I continue.
"Then please, not the pyre." I saw quietly, having to look away to hide the tears that threatened to spill. I can't do that to him, can't have him remember me like this. Arthur pulls a chair up and sits directly in front of me, so close that my knees were pressed against his inner thighs.
"Merlin you idiot," he says softly, putting his hand gently on my arm. It's my turn to look confused, and my eyes return to his, wondering why he said that.
"Merlin, you...honestly think I'm going to have you executed? I'd sooner be back in that cell, I'd rather rot there, than to see you executed for something you could neither choose or control. You're my...well...my friend. And I know I reacted terribly when I first learned about your magic, and I'm sorry. So sorry Merlin. Sorry that I didn't think...didn't remember the kind of man you are. You're an idiot! But you're the most loyal, pure-hearted, noble idiot I've ever met. And I swear to you that you will not be executed for your magic. Actually, I've come to tell you that I've instructed the council to draw up the paperwork to remove the ban on magic. To...allow magic in Camelot, so long as it is practiced for good."
I stare at him open-mouthed, so he takes it as an invitation to continue.
"And you know, well, we both know that I don't know much about magic. But you do. So I hoped that- if you wanted- you could be... I don't know, maybe a magic advisor?" Arthur offers, sounding genuinely nervous. This was a big step. This was a lot for him all in one day. Advisor?
"By the Goddess," I whisper, shocked. He laughs and pushes my shoulder lightly.
"Well say something, Mer-lin," he says in his normal taunting tone, chuckling still. "Will you be my advisor for magic? How to word the proclamation, how to judge magic fairly and ensure my people's safety, to help me make peace with the druids?"
"Of course I will, you clotpole!" I grin and without warning, pull Arthur into a hug. He protests briefly for a moment before finally huffing and hugging me back, muttering something about me being "such a girl". But I didn't pay that any attention, I was to be his advisor, magic would be allowed in Camelot, this was the beginning of Albion! And Arthur had called him his friend. They were two sides of the same coin of course, but having Arthur admit that they're friends soothed the fears he'd felt in his gut.
"Then let's go reassure Gaius and Gwain that they won't have to commit treason on my person to defend you, shall we?" Arthur grins, standing and offering me a hand up. I laugh and accept his help, nodding. Yes, everything was looking up, and this truly was the beginning of Albion.