Chapter 35: The universe must hate me!

Ashley's POV

I felt confused, even more so than I had when I left the hotel. Not to mention the anger that was building up inside me. The feeling of being lied to was overwhelming. I didn't know what to believe in anymore. So many things didn't make sense to me. Why would it make sense when it was just suddenly thrown in my face?

I would have expected anything but this.

"We have an uncle?" Katy asked trying to make sense of the situation. She too was just as confused about the whole thing, even more so than me because at least I had had some kind of forewarning.

"Yes," Leonardo confirmed hesitantly.

My mother's expression remained unchanged, still maintaining her calm and probably giving us a chance to process. Maybe she was just very good at hiding her emotions.

"How come we are poor?" Katy asked, her eyes widening.

I thought that this would be one of the few moments she takes things seriously but apparently, it wasn't.

"It's just some complicated family history, things you wouldn't understand." Mom sighed.

Complicated family history? I was still hung up on the fact that she said she had a brother.

"Why are we supposed to just believe this?" I asked. I eyed both of them, trying to see who would be the first one to break out of character.

"Would you like to see my original birth certificate?" Mom asked.

"You lie to us about everything. You are not exactly the most reliable source." I answered crossing my arms. "Besides, who goes around hiding a brother?" I asked.

"Like I said, it's complicated," Mom answered. She sighed, breaking eye contact, her eyes moving to the carpet. "I'm going to get something for us to drink." She said excusing herself. She walked out of the living room, heading for the kitchen.

I would have expected more than that from someone who has basically lied to us our whole lives.

I still haven't crossed Leonardo off as a potential danger. But right now he seems to be the person I'd probably get the most out of.

All this stress and anxiety was getting to me. I suddenly felt lightheaded. I sat down on the couch, taking a few deep breaths to try and calm myself.

"Are you going to explain what happened?" I asked eyeing Leonardo.

Leonardo sighed before gathering his words to speak. "Well, when your grandparents found out that your mother was pregnant and at such a young age, they weren't too happy about it. They already had so many plans planned out for her." He answered.

"What? Did mom fall in love with some poor guy so your parents decided to disown her because he wasn't good enough?" Katy interrupted.

"No, but he was married," Leonardo answered.

Our eyes widened.

Multiple things ran through my mind. The fact that my father was potentially a married man was at the top of the list. I didn't know how to feel. Was I supposed to be glad that after all these years I finally got something or disturbed that my mother could have very well ruined someone's marriage?

Both Katy and I had the same stunned expression. Our thoughts were disturbed by the sound of shuttered glasses when mom dropped the trail of orange juice glasses.

Mom stared at us horrified, ignoring the broken glasses along with the juice on the floor.

"He wasn't married when we met," Mom answered defensively.